Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to Stanley??

notmyaisle is offline Registered User

Moving to Stanley??

Where do I start?
    We will be moving to HK next Mar/Apr (from UK) and my husband has suggested Stanley as a place to live as (he says) the air quality is somewhat better than in other areas.

My major priority is my two children, who will be 5 and 3 when we arrive. Where do I start in finding out..
    a) What schools are nearby/commutable?
    b) Which schools are good/should be avoided?

I've no idea when the school year starts, or at what age, in HK.
    His job will pay for education so that's not too much of an issue but I don't want my 2 going to such an elite school that they risk turning into spoiled brats either. <puts on tin hat and runs for cover>

So..........all suggestions for where to start researching are very welcome!

Nula is offline Registered User

Hi notmyaisle,

The southside in general is supposed to be better air quality. You will just need to get some IQ air purifiers anyway!

Stanley is great to live in so is Repulse Bay / South Bay. Out of the two (lived in both ) I prefer Repulse Bay/ South Bay. Mainly because of the time you save not being stuck in traffic with the numerous road works that go on between Repulse Bay and Stanley. I also found Stanley too crowded on the weekends. Each to their own.

Schools (Primary)

Hong Kong International School (american system)

ESF would be Bradbury ( changed from UK to IB system up to 30 kids in a class)

French International School

Chinese International School (academic and hard to get into)

German Swiss (moving to Kowloon for 4 years)

Kellet (UK system, hard to get into)

Hong Kong Academy (IB 18 kids to 2 teachers, run down facilities)

All the above are the schools that most from the Southside would send their kids to.

Your 5 year old would be going to big school here (all schools seem to have different age cut offs). Most schools tend to have July/August off.

There are many preschools around and you should find it ok to get a place.

notmyaisle is offline Registered User

Thanks for your reply, Nula.
    After speaking to OH he agrees Repulse Bay may be a more logical and logistical option!

I've heard good stuff about French International School but it's so hard when you aren't there to view schools in person!
    Also Kellettt looks good (from website anyway) is Pok Fu Lam easy to commute to ?

NYCMel is offline Registered User

Tai Tam is also great as it's where the American Club is and there are two buildings there - The Manhattan and Pacific View. Very nice family feeling and shuttles going into Stanley and Central daily.