Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Yawns

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Yawns

hi all - quick question: my 3mo old yawns a LOT, like throughout the day - after getting up from sleep/nap, 10min after getting up from a nap, when i really just don't believe he's tired... doctors and literature tell me to make sure he's in bed by his third yawn because it means he's overtired by then, but this little darling yawns all the time... does it mean he's not getting enough (or deep enough) sleep in general?? or do babies yawn from lots of other reasons besides being tired...

this may be a silly question, but i'm so sleep deprived i can't really think straight... any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

MLBW Guest
    I watched a show on sleep that shows that the actual function of yawns is probably to "cool" our brains--our brains can get "overheated" by different things--one of those is a lack of sleep--but also sometimes we yawn when we have been thinking a lot. My guess is that as your baby is taking in a lot of new information his little brain is working pretty hard and so the "cooling system" is taking in a lot more air. :0) That's my guess. And the third-yawn thing, that's not a definite--I have read that as well--sometimes it's right on but sometimes it's not--I think as children get older it's a better indicator than when they are still in the newborn stages as your son is.

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    MLBW - thanks! that makes a lot of sense and is interesting to know. gotta love those Discovery Channel shows!!

Scroll to top