Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Longest Stretch of Sleep

Lucylou is offline Registered User
    I formula feed. I have never considered it as I have never felt the need to. I actually dream fed her the other week as she went to bed without her milk as she was so tired. I got her out of bed and she didn't even wake - she took the bottle but after about 5 mins, started gagging as she was drinking in her sleep - I realised after that I wouldn't do it again, I felt awful! I tried to imagine being woken up in the night and having a bottle shoved in my mouth, I wouldn't be best pleased either!! :O)

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish88 View Post
    Peainpod, how much do you feed at the 1am EBM feed? I have been giving 4oz and have no idea if that is too much or enough. Sometimes I give less and she sleeps longer so can't find any rhyme or reason.
    We also give 4 oz EBM and afterwards will nurse bubs to give him some extra hindmilk. (I pump while hubbie does the bottle-feed, so it's not like he's getting a full feed from my breast.) Usually bubs will drink for around 10 mins and this also helps lull him back to sleep afterwards.

(Most nights he will finish the whole bottle, but on the occasional nights when he's tired or fussy, he may only drink as little as 2 oz - but he'll always want to finish on the breast.)

I agree with Clowe that if they are given enough during the other feeds, they probably don't "need" a dream-feed per se. But my baby is larger than most (above 97 percentile) and he already feeds 9 times in a 24-hr cycle (4 EBM bottle feeds and 5 nursing at the breast) so I'm not sure when or how I can fit in an additional feed to make up for what he drinks during the dream feed! Esp since I have to pump for the 9am-5pm period when I am at work and I am generating just barely enough to cover the bottle feeds on a daily basis (without having to resort to my freezer stash.)

I'm told that formula-fed babies tend to sleep through the night more easily as the formula milk stays in their stomach longer. With fully breastfed babies, they digest the milk more easily (smaller curds) and so need to be fed more frequently.

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    Lucylou - yes formula fed babies sleep through the night much more easily... so I am not surprised you never had to resort to dream feeding. I guess that's more something breast-fed babymommies like us need to do to stay sane (ie - TRY to get ourselves a few extra hours of sleep in the night!)

Peainpod - wow I don't think your beloved NEEDS a dream feed... i'm sure you can cut it out soon - sounds like mommy is working hard and giving him plenty of nutrition during the day. I think lots of babies don't sleep through the night out of habit more than need... and as they grow older (and wiser haha) they will kick the mid-of-night feed habit... one can always hope!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clowe77 View Post
    Peainpod - wow I don't think your beloved NEEDS a dream feed... i'm sure you can cut it out soon - sounds like mommy is working hard and giving him plenty of nutrition during the day. I think lots of babies don't sleep through the night out of habit more than need... and as they grow older (and wiser haha) they will kick the mid-of-night feed habit... one can always hope!!!
    Really? But since he finishes the 4 oz bottle AND nurses at my breast on most nights that I'm reading this as him still needing the dreamfeed. (ie. once he starts only taking a couple of oz instead of the full bottle, that's the sign of habit more than need.)

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    clowe77, As for middle of the night feeds - exactly the same as you! She feeds off of one breast (while I pump the other) for only about 10 mins and then goes right back to sleep. Occasionally she will sleep through till 8 or 9! (I count on her waking me up so was shocked one morning to see it was so late and she was happily playing in her crib)

As for the 10:30 dreamfeed amount, I reduced it to 2oz the other night and then nursed her and she slept her longest stretch yet so I have no proof that increasing the 10:30 dreamfeed amount will help them sleep! (hmm unless, she actually got more from my breast which could be the case...) I was also wondering if maybe you want them to drink less at this time because eventually it will be phased out?

I think you and peainpod are right about the nutrients during the day. My daughter has always been on the small side so I am always trying to feed her as much as I can. Like peainpod, I don't know how I could get more feedings in.

Lucylou, yeah formula-fed babies are a completely different story. If I don't dreamfeed my daughter she will wake at 1-2am making that 7pm-2am her longest stretch of sleep. So the theory is that I am helping her switch that long stretch to post 10:30 feed. It is also the same idea as those who recommend tanking your child up during the day so they get the nutrients and can sleep longer at night. I was uncomfortable with it at first but it really works and all I have to do is gently pick up my daughter and she starts smacking her lips without waking up! It is pretty funny. She then goes right back into a deep sleep.

Anyways, it is good to hear your routines clowe77 and peainpod so that I know I am not too far off.

Hi Peainpod - well, of course don't take my word for it - I am just surmising here... you seem to be feeding your baby plenty during the day - was does his PD say? And is he over or under avg weight or right on target for his age? If he's in say the 90th percentile or above (which mine is!), I'd say he probably doesn't need the extra night feed... Sometimes babies suckle for comfort (and feed out of habit) not necessarily out of hunger. Just my 2 cents!

Cyberfish - feel free to PM me or call me at 9020 5970 anytime to discuss any of your issues. I think we're on the same wavelength with feeding/sleeping schedules. Last night my LO slept from 1am (daddy slept through his 11pm alarm so we did the dream feed one hour later) to 6:45am, so I'm pretty jazzed today. He did wake up at 5:10am crying but twice I picked him up and cuddled him back to sleep after 8 minutes without feeding him... Have you ever tried just cuddline/patting your baby back to sleep if he wakes up at 2-4am? That could work, and you'd be training your baby to not feed before a certain time. If he's not really hungry, chances are he could go back to sleep with just a cuddle...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast