Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice for 2 year old daughter...

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Need advice for 2 year old daughter...

Hi all..

We've recently moved here frm Canada and I'm starting to look at schools for my 2 year old, we live in Tsing Yi and there's a ESF really close by. The only thing is they only start accepting at 3 years old. What can I do in the mean time? My other dilemna is, we're only living here for a year and looking at a more permanent location. (so that could be anywhere frm Kowloon Tong..to the HK side)
    I've also looked at Woodland schools, but frm what I understand, most of their schools are located at the HK side. (am I wrong?)
    I would really like to have my daughter enrolled into some sort of a english school program... does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks!!!
    ~Theresa~

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    Why do you want a 2 year old to go to school? Or do you mean like a kindy/playgroup? Perhaps you could start a thread on whether there are any playgroups in your area - that could be fun for her? Or will you be working, is that why you want somewhere for her to go?

I'm not really sure what I want her to do.. I had her in Montessori back in Canada.. but that was because I was working, I'm not working at the moment here. Its just that, whoever I speak to here, mostly relatives that lived here for long, the first question they ask is..has she been enrolled into school? I'm perfectly fine with her starting school at 3... except is that too late for HK standards? I actually would love to have her home for the next year with me.
    =) sorry if I seem all over the place... I really don't know to do... I'd hate to have my daughter not get into a good school because she didn't go to preschool...
    ~Theresa~

HappyV is offline Registered User
    There are plenty of English playgroups for children <3 in Discovery Bay (train, then bus from Tsing Yi) - but it would take about 30mins to get there.
    Discovery Mind Play Centre
    Sunshine House
    Midget Gems
    Hector's funhouse
    + several others.
    If you think the travel is an option, call them and see what they have open.
    P.S. Woodland Schools are on HK Island (also quite $$$$).

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    :) I would keep her at home, find a lovely playgroup for her to play with other kids for the next year and in the meantime, find and look at some 3 year old preschools that you like the look of and speak to the teachers there about enrolling her next year. Preschool is from 3 years on so don't worry too much yet. You might have a better idea of where you will be living too next year. No need to panic, plenty of time unless you are really really particular about grade school - in that case speak to the one you like and ask them if you can get her on a waiting list now? Best of luck, all will be fine. Enjoy her at home with you for now.

Thanks HappyV... I'm going to checkout Sunshine House tomorrow... DB is a bit too far for me, as I'm 33 wks pregnant with our second... but I'd actually love to visit DB someday... that was actually where I wanted to check out to live, but my husband thinks it too far of a commute for him for work.
    ~Theresa~

Thanks mumto2... if I don't find anything to my liking.. I probably will keep her at home and try to join playgroups...
    ~Theresa~

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm canadian and i've opened a playgroup in tsing yi about 2 minutes by taxi from the mtr station. i can't put the website on here, but if you'd like to pm me, i'd be happy to pass it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast