Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

am i crazy????

rachrobin is offline Registered User
    You will also find heaps of camping supplies along the way - even the smallest towns tend to have well stocked shops, in case you forget/lose/break something.

A lot of caravan parks have great camping facilities - i.e. grounds away from the vans with camp kitchens etc. Obviously the internet is your best resource - but the 'Big 4' caravan park chain has a good reputation, and you get discounts if you join up as a member.

Good luck with the planning - you will have a great time!

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks jane but i'm from canada, so i do understand the distances... we like the drive. i fully expect to spend a lot of the time on the road, then we can stop when and where we want...

we want to take our time and really get to see the place, it might be the only time we ever go, who knows?

thank god the kids are fairly good in the car already, we spend easily 2 hours driving in hk everyday as it is.

we plan on driving in the morning after breakfast (kids wake up around 6 am anyway, so might as well eat and go.) and then stopping around lunch to find a place to park/explore with stops in the middle...

i'm now looking at the campervans. i originally thought they were too expensive, but when i add up all of the camping equipment we'd need, it might be better to have the camper... the only thing that's making me hesitate is trying to park it!

i guess that there would be enough places around to park them, though, right?

(ps> your post made me think of someone who wanted to rent a mo-ped to "drive around canada" for a week... we told him he might be lucky to make it to the next town!.... or my M_I_L telling all her friends that she'd driven across canada when in actual fact, she barely made it 1/5 of the way!)

Cara,

I hired a campervan to do W.A. last year - probably travelled the same distance you are planning to do on the East coast.

I found the camper really easy to drive and park after the first day, and i was used to an automatic small car (camper was manual). They all have great power steering.

We had a fantastic time and it was great to be able to pull over anywhere and have everything at your fingertips, especially a fridge! Most campers have spare batteries that will last if you are unplugged for 12 hours, then recharge as you drive the next day.

By the way, we hired a pretty cheap and nasty camper, and it was still great - but there are some amazing ones available. The volxwagon ones looked the best for families.

Whatever you get, budget for the full insurance options - well worth it if you run into any trouble.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    If you are crazy, so am I. We will be flying from HK to the US with our (then) 19 month old on our laps, and that flight door to door is about 20 hours, daytime/afternoon flights. Unfortunately we will not be able to afford to buy her a seat so we will have to take turns - and she is a handful and a half these days.

Good luck to both of us!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It sounds AWESOME - the weather should still be a little "cool" - but nice enough to get some good days and even to be able to go to the beach and stuff - particularly up towards Brisbane.

Campervans are great too. When I was 6 and my brother was 4, my family did that all over New Zealand for two weeks, had a great time! Yes, there'll be a bit of driving - but it's not that bad! Both Brisbane to Sydney is only about 12 hrs - I've done it overnight many times. And you'll probably be stopping at a few places in between as well - so it's not going to be 12 hours straight up. Then Sydney to Melbourne is probably around 10 hours or so - but again, you can be stopping along the way and everything.

I remember my campervan trip to NZ so clearly, even though it was 20 something years ago now! I've always wanted to do it again. It was great being able to pull over on the side of the road and still get a decent nights sleep!! And not to have to worry about finding bathrooms on the road! (that can be a pain a lot of the time!!)

Is this your first time to Australia, or have you been before??

nope, both hubby's and my first time. my brother was there for a year about 10 years ago and met his wife there (she was also on a holiday)

argh!
    now, i'm stumped....i've read some HORRIBLE reviews of quantas and virgin atlantic...

anyone have anything good to say about these airlines???

we are trying to decide now... do we go for 3 seats and lapping our girl in premium economy? or do we go for 4 seats in plain old economy???

anyone have any suggestions?

My theory on (most) reviews is that you only ever hear from the whingers. And lets face it, there seem to be a lot out there :)

Air travel outside of business/first class is always going to be challenging, especially with kids.

I have never had a major problem with Qantas, I no nothing of Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Blue, which flies a lot of cheap domestic routes in Australia is okay, but I would prefer Qantas any day (but would usually expect to pay a little more). You may find yourself on a Cathay flight anyway as they code share out of HK.

Personally, if I found myself in your shoes, I would probably not buy the extra seat (we are living on a very real tight budget) and then spend the whole flight kicking myself over it (and having my husband kick me for it too!). You might need to file the extra expense under "Life is too short not to....."

that's what i'm afraid of...

i know if we buy the seat, then the flight is going to be empty and we'd have the seat anyway...

if i don't buy the seat, then it's going to be packed and i'll be grumpy the whole way for not buying the seat...

i think that we might suck up the cost (we don't do this very often) and get 3 premium economy seats... hopefully they won't be full and we will get an extra seat anyway....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast