Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

am i crazy????

carang is offline Registered User

am i crazy????

ok i know that most of you would probably answer in the affirmative if i didn't clarify this post with a question....

so here it is....

hubby and i are FINALLY taking the kids on our first FAMILY HOLIDAY! yippee!

except, i didn't buy the airtickets last week and they were about $1500 per person cheaper than they are now.

so, what we are considering is this:

hkg-syd-hkg

via virgin atlantic.

problem... the tickets have now increased in price. before i thought that we'd get 4 seats and then each of the kids could have one to themselves. NOW, though, it looks like we'll save about $3000 if we hold the "baby" (think 19 month old 25-28 lbs) on our laps instead.

the flight is a night flight, non-stop there, but the return is an afternoon flight, non-stop.

any comments? should i just "suck it up" and buy the extra seat, just for the space?

also, if any of you are from oz... will it be too hot to camp most of the time we're there? we are going on nov 1st-ish for about 3 weeks. planning on driving up to brisbane and then down to melbourne.

thanks for the help guys!
    appreciate it!

ps> we are trying to do this on a budget, so money is a bit of an issue...

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    Cara,
    how much are the tickets from Virgin??
    cause I receive regular newsletters from Cathay and lowest economy ticket to Sydney is only around $5140 (before tax) if you leave HK before 5 dec. I could pass you the details if you like.
    We just returned from our family holiday in Melbourne, my daughter (22mths, weight 25lbs) and we bought her a sit. Believe me, it is worth every penny. It was GREAT to have the extra room especially when she slept cause we could take away one of the arm-rest, she slept flat on her back. She even wet her pants and sit.
    And you need room for your meal. On the way to Melbourne, she pushed her dad and coke splashed all over her sit. On the way back she pulled the coffee cup and my meal tray and we ended up with coffee all over her sit AGAIN (yes, accidents do happen).
    Anyway, have a WONDERFUL trip and don't forget to take lots of photos.

the virgin tickets are $4900 plus taxes.... which are about 50% of the ticket price!!!

for the 4 of us, with 4 seats, it's about $17,000 + taxes = $25,000!

for 4 of us with 3 seats, it's $14,000+ taxes +$21,000!

i've now found flights on vietnam airlines...

not direct, stop over in ho chi minh, 4 seats... $20,100...

completely confused what to do now.....

HELP! i know my son will be stellar on the flights, but my little girl is a handful at the best of times....i think i'm going to have to go for the 4 seats....

rachrobin is offline Registered User
    I can't help with the airline advice, but in terms of camping etc. it should not be too hot in November, although the past few years the weather has been getting really unpredictable in Australia (and everywhere else).

We had snow in the Yarra Valley (Melbourne) for Xmas 2 years ago!

You should find November weather great for camping, obviously warmer toward Brisbane - should be great swimming / beach weather without being too hot. Nights should be balmy.

Toward Melbourne you should find warmish sunny days, but usually with a fair bit of rain around (nothing like HK though!!), and the nights will still be a bit fresh.

Either way, the coastal drive is great and there are some great camping spots. You will have no trouble finding places as it will be outside of school holidays.

Thanks, Rach...

I'm thinking that once we land, we will head up to Brisbane first so that it will be early november, then head down to melbourne towards the end of our trip...

now, trying to find a good place to rent camping equipment...

what was travelling like before the internet???? i can hardly remember!

ain't it great!

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I always paid extra and purchased a seat for my under-twos but then found they'd only sit/sleep on my lap. The extra seat was good for a bit of extra room.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend driving from SYD to Brisbane then to Melbourne. You'll spend most of your holiday driving ! With frequent sanity stops for children, you'd be looking at a good 7-10 days just in driving. Have a look for some cheap domestic flights or sometimes you can get add-ons from CX or QF. With the price of fuel these days, it will probably be cheaper.

Sometimes people visit Australia and don't realise how big it is. I remember talking to some tourists in Cairns who were going to drive to the Blue Mountains (which are in NSW). They just had no idea of the distance involved. They were horrified when I told them it would take up to a week to drive there.

The weather that time of year is lovely. It will be quite cool at night in Melbourne. Take some warm jumpers if you're camping. Friends have been known to need jumpers over Christmas in Melbourne.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast