Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anybody had a VBAC?

ttc2ndbaby is offline Registered User

Has anybody had a VBAC?

Hi, im due to deliver my second in october and am strongly considering trying for a natural delivery. My first was a c-section due to complications.

Would love to hear from other mums who have had a VBAC in hong kong!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    One of my best friends in Australia just had a VBAC - I was a bit worried about her actually... her first baby was over 11lb and had the cord wrapped around his neck a few times - she wanted to have him naturally but it was progressing really slow and he started to go into distress or something, so she had to have a c-section...

Her second one, she decided to have a home birth!! I thought "good on her" - but at the same time, it's a bit scary not being in a hospital setting when her first one had those complications though!! But in the end, she did great and gave birth to a healthy 9 1/2 lb son naturally, no pain meds or anything!! AND at home too!!

From what I've heard, the Hong Kong system is less supportive of mothers wanting to go naturally - although you've probably got a better chance with a private doctor in a private hospital...

Also, I'm due in October as well - go check out our due date club and maybe you can come to one of our get togethers some time!! http://www.geobaby.com/forum/forum67.html

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Yes, I had an elective C-section (for medical reasons) for my first and a vaginal delivery for my second (both babies delivered in HK). Not many HK obstetricians will be very supportive of your decision to try for a VBAC, so you need to find someone who is supportive and has the necessary experience. The two obstetricians that were recommended to me were Dr Ghosh and Dr Lucy Lord - I went with Dr Lord and she was fantastic.

If I had to choose between C-section and natural delivery it would be natural every time. I found it a much more fulfilling experience (yes, it was painful at times but the epidural was great!) and the recovery was much quicker. But do prepare yourself for the fact you may end up with another C-section, as it does not always work out.

aprilbaby is offline Registered User
    I agree fully with tstmum, I had a emergency c-section with my first and then a natural with my second.

Lucy Lord was my doctor and she was great and very supportive from the first consultation right the way to the labour. I could walk straight away and recovered much quicker with the natual delivery (even though I had 29 stitches!!)

I would defo go for the natural option again and again....like tstmum said, it was very fulfilling.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    First one: C-section, Adventist
    Second one: Natural, Pamela Youde

Not many HK obstetricians will be very supportive of your decision to try for a VBAC, so you need to find someone who is supportive and has the necessary experience
    I found the doctors at PYNEH quite supportive. They respected my wish to try for a VBAC, but did take the time to explain thoroughly to me the risks involved. They assured me that for as long as they do not see any risk to either mother and baby, they will let me go for a VBAC, but will have a surgeon on standby in case I would have had to go for an emergency c-section.

Agree with both tstmum and aprilbaby --given a choice, I'd go natural again if we ever have another baby.

ttc2ndbaby is offline Registered User
    thank you for all your replies! i will discuss further with my doctor at my next appointment and maybe go for it. Im really keen on it because recovery time seems much less than with a cesarean and with a toddler around i need to be up and about sooner than later!

rach is offline Registered User
    hi - i had a vbac recently with dr ghosh hewas very supportive but also very cautious and conservative due to the risks. i think hewould havepreferred to do ac esction in the end but it all worked out. i'm very pleased i did it as i have 18 monthhs btwn the two and did not think my toddler would understand if i suddenly could not carry him. recovery was somuch better and worth the labour process which i did not enjoy

rach is offline Registered User
    shoiuld also add i had my first baby at adventist and nurses awful (they were nice but just not helpful in labour ) 2nd baby at matilda and nurses/midwives brillant and i believe it was due to their expertise and support that i was able to have a vbac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast