Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sending child to nursery?!

mosmom is offline Registered User

sending child to nursery?!

hi moms
    i'm curious to know whether you choose to send your child to a playgroup/nursery class when s/he is 2 years old!
    my baby is one year old and whoever i speak to nowadays asks me: "have you applied for a kindie yet?" uhm... no.
    what is your opinion, and what do you do?
    my mind tells me that this is insane, and i don't want to be caught up in the hk craze of "educating" my child sooo early!
    i was thinking of going to a playgroup with her maybe once a week next year, or attend a music lesson. and basically letting her play with other kids at home or outside. wouldn't that be enough?
    i've taught in a kindie before (not on the 2-y-old level, though), and if i remember well, most of the time was spent bringing the kids to the wc, having them eat snack and letting them play smthg or sing songs..
    or is it that parents simply want to have some 'time off' by sending their little ones to a nursery so early? thank you for your inputs :)

Last edited by mosmom; 07-18-2008 at 04:54 PM.

spockey is offline Registered User

Hi Mosmum

I sent my son to nursery once he turned two because
    he showed signs he was ready (Secrets of the Toddler whisperer) as he was getting bored at playgroups. He started with half a day then later, he went on to attend full day once a week (afternoon sessions were with mixed age).

He LOVES school. Everyday that he doesn't attends school, he asks for it. It was definitely more than just about the WC, snack time, singing songs and playing. The school he goes to is unique though.

It was definitely NOT because of the pressure from the HK culture to start schooling early. He was simply ready for more. And it has been the best thing we've done for him. In fact, he loves being in school so much that we have enrolled him for full day nursery everyday in the new academic year.

I've made the decision based only on his needs.

oh mommy is offline Registered User

Spockey

Which school your kids go to? Sounds like a good nursey

spockey is offline Registered User

It's Jing Jing International Kinder near Lingnan University in Tuen Mun. The principal and afternoon school teacher is an English lady, Mrs. McHugh. Small class size - 8 in a class.

jyap is offline Registered User

How do we know if our child is ready for nursery ? Can you please give some advice.
    Thanks.

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mosmom View Post
    hi moms
    i'm curious to know whether you choose to send your child to a playgroup/nursery class when s/he is 2 years old!
    my baby is one year old and whoever i speak to nowadays asks me: "have you applied for a kindie yet?" uhm... no.
    what is your opinion, and what do you do?
    my mind tells me that this is insane, and i don't want to be caught up in the hk craze of "educating" my child sooo early!
    i was thinking of going to a playgroup with her maybe once a week next year, or attend a music lesson. and basically letting her play with other kids at home or outside. wouldn't that be enough?
    i've taught in a kindie before (not on the 2-y-old level, though), and if i remember well, most of the time was spent bringing the kids to the wc, having them eat snack and letting them play smthg or sing songs..
    or is it that parents simply want to have some 'time off' by sending their little ones to a nursery so early? thank you for your inputs :)
    My understanding is some schools allow you to send in the nursery application form when your child has turned 1. This way you'll most likely have a spot at the school, as we all know good schools have long wait lists.

Hope it helps.

carang is offline Registered User

i had NO intention of sending my children to "school" before they were at least 4.

my son is 3.5 and he will be starting 1/2 day in september. he, too, is looking forward to "school". he's been coming with me to the playgroup that i run for the past few months and LOVES going "to school" as we call it. he now knows that at mummy's school we speak english, but at his new school the teachers speak chinese...

although he loves coming with me (and i love it too), my hubby and i decided that we wanted him in the chinese environment. i'm not interested in the homework or tests or any of the stuff that i encountered when i was teaching in kindergartens here... i just want the chinese environment for him.

you don't have to get stressed out about it if you don't want to. you can always find somewhere for your little one... it might not be the fashionable "brand name" school that everyone else wants into, but it will suit your purposes, what ever they may be.

good luck!

mosmom is offline Registered User

thank you all!

spockey
    will read into the book, secrets of the toddler whisperer ;) thank you! it's great your son loves school!

carang
    exactly! i always thought "NOT before 3 years of age". and now all these questions...

generally saying, i find it hard to figure out at the moment whether my child will be ready for school.. i mean, she can't walk and talk yet.. sigh! and i don't want to sign her up just for the sake of it and because 'others' do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast