Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to wean at 6 months?

geomum is offline Registered User

How to wean at 6 months?

Hi everyone,
    I want to wean my baby at 6 months but I don't know how. She refuses to take the bottle and the sippy cup. I do feed her rice cereal and banana from a spoon which she eats after a lot of fuss. But feeding formula from a spoon would be impossible, isn't it? Any suggestions would be helpful. Also at what time should cow's milk be introduced? I know they say not before 1 year but I have heard introducing it earlier may not cause so many problems if the mother drinks milk regularly anyways which I do.
    Thanks.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    I used Gina Fords The Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning, it answers all the questions of what to introduce when, and how. I think I have seen it in Bumps to Babes.
    Last edited by rani; 07-22-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: link added

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    I use Annabel Karmel's Feeding your Baby and Toddler which also might help you. She has a great book for top 100 Baby Purees too!
    Last edited by rani; 07-22-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: link added

Any idea where I can buy these books besides the shopHK website? Want to avoid the waiting time for delivery from US.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    It sounds like maybe she is not ready for any solids, hence the fussing and pushing away. Cows milk really should not be given before 12 months. You are dealing with very sensitive digestive systems in little ones. I'm afraid I can't help with wanting to wean at 6months but I know it takes time, you can't just take it away overnight. I think Mel above said she had seen the book at Bumps to Babes - perhaps you could call them to see. Good luck with your decision making.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    I agree with mumto2, I don't think you should introduce cows milk anytime before 12 months. Even at 6 months old, her digestive system isn't fully developed yet. I don't think giviing her cow's milk will solve your problem of her not taking the bottle. Perhaps you can try different types of nipples. There are also bottles out there where the flow of the milk is much more similar to that of a mommy's breast so perhaps you should try that (one of the brands is Adiri - they sell it at www.milk-factory.com). Or perhaps it's the formula that she doesn't like. At six months old, she should still be getting majority of her nutrients from milk. Solids at this point is only introducing her to the different tastes, textures and also for her to learn to eat solids. Unfortunately it seems like you might need to keep on trying different bottles on her until she finally gives in.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I agree that you should try different brands of formula and diffrent teats. I weaned my baby off the breast at 6 months and it was a battle to get him to take the bottle. A couple of things I tried were:

1. mixing the formula with expressed breast milk or just giving expressed milk in the bottle for a little while. That way the baby gets used to a bottle without having to get used to a different tasting milk at the same time.

2. beginning a breast feed and then slipping the bottle into the baby's mouth (this one requires some dexterity!).

3. the Pidgeon Perastalic teat (someone please correct me
    if I have spelt that wrong). These teats are meant to encourage a sucking action similar to that of breast feeding. I am not sure if that is all just marketing gumph but my baby liked these teats a lot better than the bigger avent teats.

I also agree with the poster above that the Gina Ford Weaning book is very good. It is very perscriptive but just take what you want from it and ignore the rest.

Good luck!

I will try getting the Gina Ford book from Bumps2babes. Which different formulas should I try? Till now I have tried only Enfamil which she does not like at all. I will also try different teats, she refuses bfree and avent teats. My aim is to start trying weaning now at four and half months so at least by the next 2- 4 months she is completely weaned. I certainly would not give her cow's milk before 12 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast