Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

How do other mums cope with this stuff?

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Cara, I agree with you. The emotional scars are MUCH worse than the physical abuse.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    eesh sorry that happened to you Cara...

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks, i did not mean it to sound like i was looking for sympathy, only to show that for all thephysical stuff that happened, it seems to me that the emotional scars are far worse...
    Last edited by carang; 10-10-2008 at 08:45 AM.

yobs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBW View Post
    "What do you do when other people (strangers/friends?) do things with their babies that you don't do?"
    Hi I am new here, a father.

Pardon me for replying this (old) thread, but really like to hear your thoughts on a 'similar' : ) question -

"What do you do when your partner do things with their (= your) babies/children that you don't do? Or differently?"

ummm.... discuss it and compromise.... the same as with everything in a marital/long-term relationship.

marie313 is offline Registered User
    wow this is a really interesting thread!
    I never smack my kids. As a teacher, I can control 18 pre-schoolers without being physical, so I see no reason to smack my own! I agree that parents are role models, and need to teach through their own actions.
    However, I do believe that some children do just need a smack, and verbal 'telling off' is not enough. kind of like in movies, when someone is being hysterical and then someone slaps them just to shock them out of it!
    As for the partner doing things you don't agree with, that is difficult. My husband is chinese and i am english so we had very different upbringings. Normally if he does something i dont agree with, i ask him the reasons why he did it that way. If it sounds reasonable, I let it go, if not I will explain my thoughts and can usually talk him round to my way of thinking! (the fact that i have studied child development often works in my favour!) I would never do this in front of the kids though, as i think it is important that they see mummy and daddy as a unit who support each other, otherwise they will end up playing us off against each other!
    carang likes this.

yobs is offline Registered User
    Thanks. Just finished reading another thread I thought relevant to my question.

Yes, it's difficult. There are times where my wife just cannot be persuaded, and I stand by my beliefs. Then there continue to be TWO units, or ways of thinking, hence a divided front!

It seems like my wife and I are doing works of building up and tearing down. One is telling our children xxx is not optional, another optional.

yeah, if that is happening, then it will take about 5 minutes for the kids, even if they are as young as 1.5-2 years to figure out who is the "softie" and try to only deal with that one, then play you off against each other even more.

kids can be master manipulators. you NEED to sort it out, without the kids around and do it NOW.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast