Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Visiting Hours and Baby Time at HK hospitals

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Visiting Hours and Baby Time at HK hospitals

I just went on a tour of Union Hospital in Shatin. The facilities looks decent and the price is reasonable, but I was really turned off by some things regarding my baby time.
    1) My baby will stay in the nursery 100% of the time, where the nurses will tend to it, and it seems, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to take part. If I get a ridiculously-priced private room the baby can stay in it for a few hours at a time only.
    2) Visitors can only look through the glass at it.
    3) worst - my husband can only visit it face-to-face for 30 minutes a day, assuming he can take those days off work.

I am concerned that we'll lose out on bonding time at a crucial time, breastfeeding opportunities, and basically any control over our baby.
    Are ALL hospitals in HK like this?
    I know the VIP birthing centre in Guangzhou (I'm based in SZ) gives everyone a private room and the baby stays in the room full time. I'm just not sure about their medical care but will be looking into that soon. And all of this is for a fraction of the cost of HK.
    Can anyone shed some light on this, please?
    Thanks~

capital is offline Banned

I have no experience in delivering in HK, but to add to your post, what happens if you refuse and you bring your baby in your room? Do they forcibly grab him from you? Do they discharge you immediatly? I always wonder what happens if you flout the rules. I can see that there isn't much you can do about the visiting hours, but how do they make you comply with not havingyour baby with you. I went home from hospital at about 16 or 17 hours after the birth (In canda) so I personally would be inclinded to just leave if I was told baby can't be with me, and would probably check myself out once I was up and moving.

That's an interesting point, but you see, in HK you have to pay between $6-15 thousand CAD to have your baby, so I don't know how many women up and leave. Also, I think there's some agreement you have to sign that that's how they do it and toughie for you. It's just a ridiculous rule to me. I'm from Canada too, and wish I could have my baby there, virtually without payment, and then I could complain all I want about our deteriorating OHIP system. But here, I wanna get my money's worth, know what I mean?

Morgan is offline Registered User

Other options

Hi,

I'm curious why you haven't considered the 'public' options in HK.

I gave birth in the Queen Mary and it was great. The baby was there the whole time. Nurses were failry helpful.

Visiting hours were twice a day, not great but better than the one in Sha Tin.

You can leave when you want to ...unless there's a worry about the baby.

My bill was $300HK for the two of us for 3 days.

There are more hospitals like this on your side, The Queen Elizabeth is supposed to be good too.

If you have good insuracne, you could consider the Matillda, The Adventist or the Canosa.

It really is best to have your baby with you, so you can bond. Don't let them stop that!

Good Luck!

Thanks, but as mentioned, I'm based in SZ. So no HK id which means I have to pay quite high fees for public hospitals as well. Which, by the sound of them, might be more accomodating that the strict rules of the private hospitals. I wouldn't even consider some place like Matilda - have you seen their prices? Im still reeling over the price of diapers!

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Matilda doesn't have those visiting hour/baby/husband restrictions, though. And I don't recall diapers being a line item on our bill. I am sure they are in the package cost, somewhere.