Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What is it like to have a DH???

carang is offline Registered User
    our helper always eats with us. when she started with us we were in a small apartment and i didn't want her standing up in the kitchen to eat.

i invited her to eat with us and she always does. on her days off, she usually eats out, but if she's around, she usually watches tv in her room and eats while watching tv.

persephone984 is offline Registered User
    from a helpers point of view:

meals times: I and most helpers i know would rather eat by ourselves.. (i am uncomfortable eating with my employers as IT IS family time, and in most cases for working parents, the only time they all come together and catch up)

work schedule: just an outline will very helpful.. always be specific about how you like things done.. like if you want to fold your towels in a certain way etc.. other wise we just do things the way we like to do it...

privacy: i use to share a room with the 8yr old child of my employers. i sit on my bed if i am need and they just call me if they want me to do smth. after dinner i take our little doggy out and have some fresh air and relax a bit. after that its back to my bed as they are the ones who gets our boy ready for bed..

days off: i go out all day. they dont ask what i do or try to control it.. offers suggestion of where to go and what to see... often they would give me a map :D as they know i like to explore a bit..

mobile: i am free to use my mobile arount the house as long as i dont take calls during work.. my ward used to play with it a lot. i play games or listen to music while waiting for them to give the go signal for dinner.

house phone: im free to use it as well as long as i keep the number secret from my friends... so im allowed outgoing calls but not incoming calls.

i often ask my helper about her plans for her day off... i've given her extra $ so she can buy a nice lunch for her friends. i've had her friends come over for a bbq where I cook...

she doesn't take it like i'm being nosy... i just want to make sure she and her friends enjoy their day off...

sophyaguilar is offline Registered User
    frenchmum i'm so curious, did you get a helper in the end? and if so, how's it going??

swedishmum is offline Registered User
    hi with frenchmum did you mean me swedishmum :)???
    actually I havent even moved to HK yet. Im moving end of next week.

But I think that I am probably not going to get a DH. Not rightaway anyway. I might get someone for a couple of hours a week instead.

Thanks to all the info I have gotten here I am although open to the fact that I might get one lateron. They seem to be a great help. I just dont know if I could really feel relaxed at home with a DH.

We are planning on having another baby while in HK and if that works out I will probably get a DH then I guess I would appreciate all the help I can get and I wouldnt care if my privacy is somewhat invaded:).

I really would like to thank everyone for the info about having DHs and its also very intersting to get the DHs point of view.

oh, my... we COULD NOT have managed without our helper during my second pregnancy... and that is not an exaggeration.

i was hospitalised 8 times over the 8 month pregnancy and spent the last 4 months of the pregnancy in a wheelchair....

it was FANTASTIC having someone, that my son was close to, able to take care of him while i was unable to do even the simple things. there's no way my husband, even working from home, would have been able to do it himself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Scroll to top