Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

uncircumsized toddler penis question - please help

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

uncircumsized toddler penis question - please help

our 18mth old son in uncircumsized and up until now we have not paid any special attention in terms of cleaning. we wash it like the rest of his body and we don't retract the foreskin. yesterday when I attempted to wash it as usual, he said "ouch" and backed away and didn't want me to touch it so today i took him to the dr. to get it checked out because it was the same thing this morning, it seems tender to the touch. he left a urine sample to check for infection but the dr. said he looks normal. she retracted the tip portion of his foreskin to check the head of his penis (it seemed to retract easily but my son was crying the whole time. not sure if he was just scared or if it was painful...) which looked slightly red so she prescribed bactroban ointment. has anyone used this? my question to all of you who have uncut boys, how do you clean your son's penis? when do i have to (or don't at all) retract the foreskin to clean the head? hubby is circumsized so not able to help. in this link http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...detail&ref=513 it says "When the foreskin has separated from the glans, the foreskin can easily be retracted, or pulled back, to leave the glans exposed." does this mean at some point I will notice his penis exposed from the foreskin? sorry i have no idea what I am doing, and hope i haven't done something wrong or neglected to do the proper thing. please someone fill me in. thanks for the help!!

rani is offline Administrator

MM,

Our Dr told us to retract the foreskin and rinse with water. We've been doing it since he was around 1 or so. We haven't had any infections so can't help with the ointment. Hope MM feels better soon.

stacy is offline Registered User

My son is also uncircumsized and he is 3-1/2 years old and the foreskin has not yet separated. We have done what you have done and wash thoroughly and occasionally we check to see if the foreskin can be retracted to clean underneath. Our Dr. told us that it will happen on its own and once it does we can clean underneath, but not to force it.
    I hope this helps.

carang is offline Registered User

my son is 3.5 and to be honest, i haven't done anything special, nor have i even checked to see if it has retracted... i don't think it has as when he has an erection, the glans is still fully covered...you can unobtrusively check for erections in the night time when changing a nappy... whenever i've changed my son's nappy at night (since he was about 14 months old) he'd have an erection.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

thanks so much for all your quick replies!!

when my son's penis is erect, the glans is fully covered. does that mean it's not ready to be retracted? the doctor today pulled it back to expose only the tip portion of the glans. Rani, when you retract the foreskin to clean, does your son show any discomfort? when you wash, do you just retract and spray with water, or do you use your finger to wipe?

just to clarify, when the foreskin is retractable, does it just slide down, exposing the whole penis? only when it's erect right? or is it flaccid when you do that?

sorry i am reading my post and realizing that i sound like a complete moron with my questions but i really have no clue.

I guess what i am trying to find out is, when they say it happens naturally and not to force it, how do i know it's ready to be retracted and what is considered force? i.e how easy should it be to retract?

again, many many thanks for all your help!!

Hi MM, The Dr retracted it first at one of his well baby appts. Only the tip was exposed initially and we rinse with water only (no fingers). Only in the last year (he's now 6) does it retract fully. No, there's no discomfort. He does it on his own. Its flaccid when he retracts it.

HTH

carang is offline Registered User

they are not silly questions as you and we are all women and are not as intimately acquainted with the penis as our husbands are... and if your hubby is cut then he wouldn't know either...

perfectly legit questions if you ask me....and i, for one, am eager to hear some answers!

PS> last month there was an article on here about penis care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast