Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About Folic Acid???

dorothy_melody is offline Registered User

About Folic Acid???

Now taking Materna 1 tablet everyday. Do I need to take extra Folic Acid?

Thanks!
    P.S.now 16 weeks

MeowMeow is offline Registered User

I took Materna + folic acid + calcium

It's recommended, but you don't have to :)

tstmum is offline Registered User

Check how much folic acid is in the Materna - the recommended amount for most pregnancies is 400 micrograms (400 mcg) (though there are some situations where a higher dose is recommended). The most important time to take folic acid is before conception and in the first trimester.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I took Materna - I took an extra folic acid every 2nd day in the first trimester (it's not necessary, but my doctor gave me some for free and I figured why not. Folic acid is one of those vitamins that if you get too much, you just excrete it - so it's not going to harm you if you get a bit too much).

I also have calcium and iron supplements that I take as well (I usually take them on alternate days) - but if you take calcium or iron as well as the materna, it's important to not take them at the same time. Take materna in the morning, then calcium in the afternoon, and iron at night or something like that - because your body can only digest a certain amount of calcium at any one time. If you take too much, it'll just go right through you undigested. And also, calcium hinders the absorption of iron. So it's important that you take the iron by itself - with something with a lot of vitamin C like orange juice or something, NOT milk (vitamin C helps the absorption of iron). HOW you take your vitamins can be even more important than what vitamins you take because if you take them wrong, it doesn't benefit you as much...

dorothy_melody is offline Registered User

Thanksssss all!

I don't take any calcium & Iron. Should I ask my doctor to give me for my next check-up?

Now I only take:
    1.) Materna x 1 tablet
    2.) Optimum Omega x 1 tablet

Both given by Dr.

vitamin enough?

I drink 3 cups of hot milk everyday and 2 boil eggs.

My weight is not that heavy. Only gain 1 kg in month. I'm worring too much. I do try to eat more BUT no appetite.....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If you drink a lot of milk, you probably don't need calcium. I only take iron because I'm slightly anemic... and in pregnancy, your iron needs are much greater!!

If you're worried about anything, just ask your doc, that's what he's there for!!

I was really worried about weight gain too... In the first 13 weeks, I LOST 3 or 4 kg. By the time I was about 21 weeks, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Now I'm 26/27 weeks and I've only gained 3 kg - but if you take it from my "low weight", I've gained 7kg which is considered normal for 26 weeks. So I'm not too worried about it really... each woman is different and I think as long as you try to eat a balanced diet and take your vitamin, you'll be fine!!

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Drinking milk does not guarantee a good calcium level, as you need Vitamine D to fix it, but I guess you probably have some in your Vitamines.
    Also... eggs is cholesterol, I've been told 4 per week should be a maximum.
    I also used to take Materna Vitamines and Folic Acid, and my obs was happy with that...
    As Nicolejoy said, as long as you have a healthy diet, you don't need to worry.

dolphinyp is offline Registered User

Hi,ladies, don't worry too much about the weight gain, when i was 24 weeks, i gained about 3 kg. So i was happily eating a lot, i gained about 20 kg in total. It was a bit too much for my body size. But actually the baby will take what they need from your body, and they will grow rapidly from 6 months. So gaining so much weight doesn't mean to have an average size baby. Just relax and take things easy. Wish you all have a happy pregnancy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast