Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High Risk result for Downs baby...Test different for Asians and Caucasians???

capital is offline Banned
    Do you know specifically what tests were done? How worrying!

As far as comparing it to what is happening in canada ( at least where I live), currently all women are offered blood test called the quad screen. It used to be the triple screen., but now improved. the quad screen measures AFP (alpha fetoptotein), hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), uE3 (unconjugated estriol) and DIA (dimeric inhibin A). All 4 are used for risk of down's and trisomy 18. The first alone is also used for neural tube defects.

The detection rate for down's is 75-80% with a 5% false positive rate
    dectionrate for trisomy18 70% , false +ve 1%
    detection rate for neural tube 80-85% with a 3% false +ve. Here no one gets a nuchal translucency testunless you are high risk and it has to be done at 11 to 13 weeks.
    Amniocentesis or CVSis aslo only for high risk, or if you show to have higher risks with the quad scrren, also you generally get sent to genetic counselling where they can really discuss the results and what they really mean. I know some people go for amniocentesisi and some don't as that also has its own risks so if the risk of miscarriage is higher than the risk of disease some decline, others need that reassuance to know what is really happening, very individual decision. If your second tests are also high could you be referred to a genetic counsillor?

adding,

I have never heard or read anything about racial differences in test results
    Last edited by capital; 07-28-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: adding

squirrel is offline Registered User
    if u knew your baby had downs syndrome, would u still keep it or would u abort it immediately? If u would keep it regardless then no point putting yourself through so many tests and stressing yourself out.

Regarding your luck, I think around 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage (mostly due to wrong chromosomes), so don't feel too bad you're not alone. Plus you've made it further than the other 20% and there's a good chance your baby is still all right.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your reassuring replies. I'm not really into the whole amnio thing, and no I would not abort it. I'm 15 weeks now. I'll be seeing a doc in HK in 2 weeks along with my test results. He'll try to talk me into an amnio but I'll have to insist on a level-2 ultrasound. And pray for the best. Although when I talked to a woman on the phone today and I told her my test results, she told me how bad they were. It really made me feel awful all over again. but anyway, nothing I can do but wait an assume I have a healthy little baby inside me.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I was re-tested and the results came back yesterday. 1:1430. All the numbers were different and fell well within normal levels. I feel much better now. It just makes you question how well you can trust tests, though.
    Thanks for everyone's supports and advice~

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    Hi

When I was pregnant with my second, my tests came back with a 1:40 chance of down syndrome at 12 weeks. We had an amnio done the next day and had to wait 2 weeks for the results. In the end we stressed about nothing as my son had no chromosome abnormalities and came out fine. :)
    It is a really hard thing not to worry though. So I can completely relate to the dilemma you've been through. I am so glad your second testing came back fine.
    My OB at the time said there are a few other factors in the blood test which can affect the final results, but the amnio is the only 99.9% way of dispelling the Down Syndrome result.
    I am glad you didn't have to go through an amnio. It is one of the most horrific and traumatic things I have ever had to go through...

Hopefully your pregnancy will continue without complication. Good Luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12