Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bugaboo Bee on MTR?

soon2bmom is offline Registered User

Bugaboo Bee on MTR?

Hi,

We are thinking of getting a Bugaboo Bee or Stokke Xplory for our new baby. Can anyone please share if these two strollers are easy to use on the MTR( as MTR is our main means of transportation) such as can it fit through the wide gate entrance/exit and the doors of the MTR train?

We will probably just use a baby carrier for the first 3 months (maybe a Moby wrap)for visits to the pediatrician, will we still need one of those baby nests for the Bee? Will the baby be safe and comfortable just in the seat when he's about 3 months old?

And if it's not too much to ask, anyone know the best/cheapest way to buy them?

Thank you so much!

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Dear Soon2bmom,

My hubby did a lot of research on the two prams/strollers before we settled on the bugaboo bee. I, personally, loved the look of the Stokke Xplory but as we use public transport and the car, the Stooke is a real pain to collapse ( has to be taken into three parts, which is hard to do with a babe in one arm) and it is also very heavy. The bugaboo bee has been great, it is lightish, around 12 kgs, it is one of the narrower strollers, can get through MTR gates and narrow escalators.

I found that I did need the baby nest for my newborn but I was not in HK then and I was in colder weather. I also found that the newborn appeared to be more secure (at least in my mind anyway...more snug) in the baby nest. One other point, my baby slept quite a lot in her bugaboo and what I would recommend is to choose the black hood because although it is not as cool looking as the yellow, red or blue, at least it is dark in there for her to snooze when I am out and about.

Finally, with regards to the car seat, I don't know if you are going to get this, we used the maxi cosi mico with the adaptors, which has been alright but not perfect. Firstly, using the car seat elevates the centre of gravity for the stroller making it just a little more unstable, secondly, the hood on the mico does not stay up or far enough forward so that it's hard to keep baby in the dark for a snooze...I resorted to using a big paper clip to clip a black shawl to darken the interior when we were out and about but sure wished we had chosen the maxi cosi cabriolet instead which doesn't appear to have these problems.

Don't know where you would get either at the best price,I bought mine in the states. I know in HK they sell them at MotherCare in the Princes Building but not sure if it is cheap there, everything in that building looks like stellar high end!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    try bumps to babes for both the bee and maxi cosi cabrio car seat. Cheaper than mother care i think.

soon2bmom is offline Registered User
    Thank you both for the information! Really appreciate it! I didn't know the colour would affect the baby so much (was considering the yellow one)but we will seriously consider black now.

jojokay is offline Registered User
    hello - i also have the bee, and love it. we looked at the stokke as friends in canada have one but it just wasnt practical for HK. the bee is much lighter and more compact. i can easily fold it and throw it in the trunk of a taxi on my own.

i also bought the nest and for a newborn i think it is pretty essential - the seat on its own is too roomy. however, if youre using a carrier for the first few months, id say by three months you would be fine without one. you can just pad the seat out with a blanket or something if there is too much space.

as for colour, we have the dark khaki and it is fine in the sun. is dark enough to provide shade but not too dark as to attract the sun.

hope that helps!

oh -- one more thing...when we first got it it was VERY stiff. i needed my husband to help me collapse it and was very worried we had made a mistake! we just opened and closed it several times in a row over a couple of days (before baby arrived) and that did the trick; just needs to be loosened up, then works perfectly.

-j

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    The bee looks great and I've had many friends recommend it, but from a solely MTR and sometimes bus user I must say that we are beyond thrilled with our maclaren techno XT -- which fits normal barriers too (provided they're not turnstiles) not just the disabled ones. Space in the MTR should not be a poblem now that stickers have appeared in the disabled sections showing a mum and a buggy as well as a man in a wheelchair. What I found important for us w/ regards to MTR travel was biggish wheels that easily bump down stairs (I'd imagine a nightmare with the xplory) as well as it being lightweight enough to carry up some stairs - remember bubba grows big fast so you'll have to think of weight of baby + buggy. The maclaren turned out to be the perfect choice for me but I did love the look of the bee too!