Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

4 months & unbelievably tired...

artistinhk is offline Registered User

4 months & unbelievably tired...

Is anyone else feeling this way?

I am 33, this is my 2nd "bump" and working full-time through both pregnancies I do not remember being so tired with my last one.

Is it the temperature? How are others doing?

I have concerns that my tiredness is going to get worse and affect my work. I would love to know if anyone has any ideas how to increase energy levels.

Yes, I am taking prenatals, + extra iron and folic, 8-9 hours sleep and I am of an "average" build.

Last pregnancy I put on a total of 27 kilos (thank goodness I lost it again :-) this time I know it will be much less as I have only put on 4.5 so far..... so I am not even carrying so much extra weight. I am exercising every 2nd day.....

Please help! This tiredness is driving me crazy, even the floor at work looks inviting.....

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Yes! and I thought it was only me.....so thanks for posting!

I'm 34 and this is my unexpected first, normally I only need 8 hours sleep and would think nothing of doing a 2 hour gym session after a 10-12 hour work day 4 nights a week and on weekends.

But now I've had to cut back my working hours to 9-5pm usually its 7.30 to 6.30pm. I fall straight into bed when I get home from work and I'm sleeping 10-14 hours a night and way too exhausted to get to the gym. I did suffer from extremely bad morning sickness from week 6 to 18 and ended up so dehydrated I started fainting. I had to take a week off work as all I wanted to do was sleep, some days I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed to take a shower. I still don't have much of an appetite but now that I'm keeping my food down my energy levels have increased slightly. I hope to start doing some exercise or yoga soon. And I'm also of average build and taking pre-natals and extra iron and folic.

The temperature and humidity is really knocking me about. I have to take a taxi to work and its only a 10 min walk but the heat kills me. I can't stand being outside and have the air-conditioner on the coldest level possible (my husband is freezing!). I find sucking on ice cubes helps keep cool.

This is also driving me crazy as I'm normally someone who hates lying around and doing nothing...now thats all I do!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm currently 6 months pregnant - I found the the first 3-4 months were like that, I would sleep for 12 hrs every night if I could!! And I WASN'T working full time!! But after the 4th month, I got back a lot of energy and I feel back to "normal" again now! I know I can't expect it to last through to the end of the pregnancy - but it was good to have a bit of energy again after so many weeks of just wanting to sleep all the time!!

The heat is awful at the moment though, and I don't know if it is worse being pregnant or if it's just bad for ANYONE... I know that yesterday had that "heatstroke warning" - but I've hated being outside lately, even just for a 5 minute walk!! I usually don't even feel the heat that much...

artistinhk is offline Registered User
    Karmah1 & nicolejoy

Thanks for your replies.

Karmah1, how reassuring I am not alone in feeling this way. Actually I am a runner and usually average 20-60kms per week,
    after (as you) 10-12 hour work days.

Of course I realise this is not realistic when pregnant however I did manage to squeeze out 21kms at 12 weeks and have been doing 1-1.5 hours run/walking every second day..... but at what price?

These days I feel so incredibly tired all I want to do is lie down and it drives me crazy. I am fearful that I will turn into a lethargic blimp...

As for the heat, I know that our body temp increases by a couple of degrees when preggers however Hubby used to beg for the air conditioner during summer and I would be putting on a jumper, whereas now he comments on our iceberg of a home....
    and I am still overheating.

Yes, yes a part of me tells me as my "kind" doctor said, "You are not young woman anymore, you are pregnant lady, you should behave like one!" lovely in theory but the practice just doesn't suit my mentality or persona.

Nicolejoy I hope to be as you and regain some of that energy soon, it gives me something to look forward to.

I remind myself I am so lucky to be pregnant and even luckier to be without sickness.

I think I may resort to motivation and posters and maybe even a starchart for myself.... :-)

:yeah2

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I am only 6 weeks pregnant (3rd time round) and completely exhausted. I absolutely must nap during the day or i don't make it past 8pm. I have two boys already and work (albeit have some flexibility because it's for myself) but am really struggling. I know it will pass, because i was exhausted in the first trimester both times before but it doesn't make it any less annoying. Add to that the constant nausea that I'm feeling and i'm a bit worried how i will cope for the next two months or so.

Curious how people with other kids and/or jobs get by? Any tips they can share?

kyojee is offline Registered User
    I'm so glad I'm not alone! I just found I'm 6 weeks too and this is my first pregnancy. I have been sleeping close to 14 hours each day the past week. I take 2-3 hour naps in the afternoon and sleep (luckily) soundly at night. It's so hard to wake up in the mornings.

The funny thing is I was really active the first 5 weeks (I didn't know I was pregnant then.) I just came to HK and was busy househunting and exploring the city. I wonder if my fatigue is part-psychological. Since finding out about pregnancy a week ago, I've been overjoyed and now nervous. Part of me just wants to hibernate at home.

I've intended to look for work but now I'm so afraid I can't take the physical demands. It amazes me to know/see that there are so many pregnant ladies working full-time out there, I wonder how they cope!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I'm nearly 16 weeks, 31 years old and this is my first pregnancy. I was completely exhausted from 5-12 weeks, and am ever so slowly getting some life back into me. But barely. Most of the time I'm still pretty lethargic feeling. By the way, I'm not working full time, and barely part time as it is. And that suits me fine to be honest. I don't know how the full-timers do it!
    One thing I noticed is that I have good days and bad days. One day I'll go out for 1-2 hrs and be utterly exhausted by the time I can drag my bones home. Another day I can go most of the day, but then by the evening, I'm knocked out.
    I often have to rest, but most usually just lie down for half and hour or an hour. but that really disrupts my nighttime sleeping habits (like now at 2.30am) when I can't sleep at all and I'm thinking of baby baby baby and i'm hungry and tired but can't sleep. So I know tomorrow will be somewhat of a rough day.
    I think if I were 25 it'd be much different. Each year must be more and more tiring, I think. I'm still waiting for my proper second wind.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    3rd time round i can give you some assurances that the fatigue normally stops around 12 weeks and then for the next trimester or a bit longer you have lots of energy. Some women aren't even effected in the first trimester, lucky them.

For me however it's not the fatigue that is the most annoying thing it's the constant nausea. If i'm tired i can sleep but no matter what i do i feel sick all day and night. It's better than first time round i guess when i couldn't even keep liquids in my stomach.

Kyojee, it might be a little pyschological but i doubt it. The difference for me between the 5th and 6th week were like night and day. One minute i was fine, the next i was a basket case hardly able to get out of bed. :) I think it's around that time that your hormone levels really change so i wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

I never get past 4 weeks without knowing I'm pregnant. The body reacts very quickly. I can still remember asking my husband the first time round (at 4 weeks) 'do my boobs look bigger to you?' We did a test one week later and then the following week i was out of it for the next 6 weeks. I was so sick I literally didn't leave the house unless it was to see my obs.