Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jogging and Breastfeeding

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Jogging and Breastfeeding

Hi all,

This is a question about jogging and breastfeeding (not at the same time ).

My little girl is now 4 months and exclusively breastfed. I am dying to get out and start jogging/running again but am worried about the effect it will have on my breastmilk. It has been a long fight to get my milk supply up and to get breastfeeding to work so I am very paranoid about doing anything that might jeopardize my milk supply.

So my questions are this...will putting on a restrictive jog bra have any negative effects on supply? What about re-hydration and keeping up supply? Do I need to worry about that? Am I needlessly worrying?! I am talking about short distances to start but outside in this heat.

Anyone have experience with this or have some reassurring advice?

Thanks!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    I have been jogging and rowing since my baby was 3 months old and i did not get any milk reduction issues. I jog and row at least 3x a week, 20 mins each time, (that's about 40mins total) with proper exercise bra.

However, I had a problem of blocked ducts when I first went back to doing weights. The chest machines. So I stay clear of those for now.

Hope that helps.

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    hi cathy!

i've been thinking the same exact thing... but i'm just lazy more than anything else and that's been my excuse. lame i know.

i don't think exercise should have any effect on breastfeeding as long as you properly hydrate yourself (then again i've heard that how much water you drink actually has no impact on how much supply you have, but obviously that breastfeeding will reduce your water supply so you do need to drink more...)

anyway all the literature i've read says that exercise and breastfeeding can go hand in hand without a problem. it's just so bloody HOT out right now i can't imagine jogging period... but good for you and good luck :-)

donkey is offline Registered User
    I have a 5 1/2 months old baby and have started running again since he was 3 months old. To run in this hot weather can be tricky as you really need to rehydrate enough in order to keep your milk supply. I now run two times a week, each 40 to 45 minutes in the gym instead of outside. It is better to start running in the gym to start with so that you know where you are at in terms of your fitness. I have no problem regarding milk supply, but I make sure that I drink plenty of water during and within the hour after my run/exercise, and don't go anaerobic in terms of intensity. I am now exercising 4 times a week which include swimming, running, spinning and weight training and milk supply is all good.

Good luck!

fennho is offline Registered User
    will the exercise cause my milk to be sourish after i exercise? I read somewhere it does that to certain mommies and we shud refrain from nursing babies dunno X amount of hours...anyone can advise?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Exercise doesn't affect your milk. It is fine to pump or feed directly after exercise.

There was once a mother whose baby got upset breastfeeding directly after the mother had done vigorous exercise. When asked her doctor suggested that it was because of lactic acid build up in her milk - I'd like to point out this was just a theory the doctor came up with - he didn't do any research.

Since then research has been done on milk after mothers exercise and no difference in the milk was found - thus disproving his theory.

If you would like my personal theory (again no research to back it up) the baby didn't like being held by the sweaty mother. So the not wanting to breastfeed was nothing to do with the milk and all to do with being held comfortably.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Thanks pixelelf and donkey for the reassurance. I think I am most afraid of putting on a jog bra and still having my chest bounce around!

clowe77, I will let you know when I actually make it outside to jog! I seem to talk about it more than doing it....

I just read in the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding that exercise actually helps with milk production.

donkey is offline Registered User
    I can actually pump out more during the day after exercise. I think it is because I consciously drinks more and make sure that I am hydrated. The milk pumped out may look a bit more watering but the quality should be the same as my boy never complains about drinking those milk.

Put on two bras if needed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast