Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helper vacation - who pays?

Portia is offline Registered User
    MeowMeow
    Where is your helper flying to?

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry, meow meow. but it's not up to your helper to tell you HOW or WHO she flies with.... it is up to you. you do not tell your employer whom you wish to fly with when you go on holiday.

it is ONLY your decision!

rani is offline Administrator
    Most helpers prefer Cathay as they get an extra 10kg allowance. Whereas Cebu Pacific is quite strict with 20kgs. Also the Domestic Helper fares on Cathay are quite reasonable if you can get the dates you want

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0022d21c39____

I agree with Cara. That's why I was asking where your helper is flying to as you might want to check that Cebu Pacific really doesn't fly there. I understand from my helper that Phil Airlines is more popular because they don't charge if you go over the luggage weight limit and because you don't have to change terminals between the international and domestic portion of the flight. These reasons are not enough to persuade me to spend $2000 more on her plane tickets.

rani is offline Administrator
    Btw, I went on a girls weekend earlier this year to Manila and we flew Cebu Pacific, and it was absolutely fine. They even played games on the flight and gave out prizes. Which other airline does that? We had a good laugh.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Cebu Pacific isn't always that much cheaper than Philippine Airlines. My helper had to go home on an emergency trip (her mom was very ill) and CP cost over $2800 ($1500 for HK-Manilla return and almost the same for the domestic portion from Manila to her home.) The same flights on PA came to HK$3100.

CP prices fluctuate a lot so sometimes it's worth cross-referencing with PA. (I think if the price difference isn't too big, it's nice to be able to give your helper a choice.)

mushi is offline Registered User
    dear ladies, thanks so much for all yr suggestions....i will try for cebu pacific but i believe the fares are much higher during christmas season which is when i plan to send her....i will give both airfare and to/fro form manila as suggested and yes this is the first time she is going home after i hired her so i should be paying only one-way as u suggested.....my helper also mentioned some travel agent she has who can give her a ticket at a better rate...i will check on that and compare to the online one and then decide.

Mushi
    A few tips for booking on Cebu Pacific which is not as easy as booking on CX or PAL. After trying numerous times, I phoned customer service and was told that the online booking only works if you have a Philippines credit card. However, customer service in Manila can assist you to book if you fax them a copy of your credit card plus a copy of the latest credit card statement. In the end, I thought it was easier to use a travel agent and found one on 3/F of World Wide House in Central (called El Sol). It cost around $80 more than if I had booked it myself online, but it was less hassle than faxing things.

If you are checking prices online, you need to check the international and domestic portions of the trip separately and then add the price up. I would suggest checking the price online first before you ask the travel agent because one of the travel agents I approached in Worldwide House gave me a price $1000 more than quoted online and kept insisting that the price fluctuates every minute. I just checked a few days ago and the fares to and from Manila around Christmas are around $2300 (including surcharges), but cheaper if she flies before 17 Dec. Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast