Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Helper vacation - who pays?

mushi is offline Registered User

Helper vacation - who pays?

hi, my helper is about 4 months old and we plan to send her to philippines this december for a 2 week holiday....do we have to pay both going and return fare....or only one-way? i have heard that the old employer should pay one-way.....also do we have to pay only the airfare or also the bus/train fare to her final destination frm manila??

carang is offline Registered User
    did she have a holiday before she started to work for you? or did she come straight to you after her last contract finished?

if she came straight to you, then you only pay a one way fare FROM HER HOME, not just from manila.

if she had her holiday and then started to work for you, then what you are proposing is IN ADDITION to what is required in her contract. it would be up to you whether or not you pay for her. HOWEVER, if you are SENDING HER (not giving her a choice as to when to take the holiday) then out of good grace, you should pay for her.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    if she joined you straight from another employer, then you only have to pay for the "return" part of the ticket. You only have to pay for the airticket to her home country, not bus, train etc for her to get home

sorry andreay... you have to pay for her to get "home" not just to her home country.

"an employer of FDH is responsible for the expenses incurred by the FDH for his/her departure from his/her place of origin"

see: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_fdh.htm#6

this means that you are responsible to pay from their HOME not Manila

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    I'm also facing the same problem.

My helper is taking vacation this month, so I paid my helper's ticket from HKG-Manila for 2100hkd..and another ticket for 2000hkd from Manila to her home town, so total of 4100hkd.. She insisted that I have to pay the ticket from Manila to her home town and it says on the contract.

She chose Air Philippines for all flights..she told me she doesn't want to take the ship back home from Manila, and there's no bus to her home town (btw, is this true?? no bus but with an airport?? i didn't bother to ask her these questions). Therefore, she should be happy because she'll travel like first class.

Question to Carang,
    How much more did you pay your helper?? like bus or train costs??

TIA

nothing. my helper is from manila. :)

Portia is offline Registered User
    MeowMeow
    My helper is going home for a vacation next week and I bought her tickets last week. It only cost $1950 on Cebu Pacific, including the domestic portion of her flight as she lives in the provinces.

It might be true that there is no bus to your helper's hometown. But on Cebu Pacific, the domestic portion of the ticket only cost 3 pesos, plus taxes and fuel surcharge, which took it up to around HK$600 in total. The international portion of her flight cost around HK$1350.

It's up to you which airline your helper flies and Philippines Airlines is expensive. There is also a big price difference between travel agents. I asked 3 agents and the prices ranged from $1950 to $3800 (on CX).

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Thanks Portia, my helper doesn't like Cebu Pacific..so you know, she knows what's the best..and she said only Air Philippines provides her domestic flights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast