Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cost of entire pregnancy, private vs public

Neha is offline Banned

but as far as I remember u need to be the insured one year before you actually get pregnant to get pregnancy coverage( this is for private coverage no idea about coverage thru job)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Through my husband's job, we only had to wait for him to pass the 3 months probation to be eligible for the pregnancy cover. Something like that...

We had the option of topping up the cover - but for some reason, we didn't take it. I didn't realise how much having a baby here actually cost, and I assumed that our cover WOULD cover private hospitals!!

My husband doesn't like Matilda though because apparently in WW2 it was used as some kind of concentration camp by the Japanese or something like that. *shrugs* But I would so go there if I was going to get it for "free" (with the insurance, I mean).

Depending on how the rest of this pregnancy goes and how the hospital is and all that, we may top up our cover in the future and go private for our 2nd child - but I just couldn't justify paying that much money out of pocket for a more cushy room and better visiting hours.

carang is offline Registered User

nicole... does your hubby know that the japanese used the peninsula hotel as their headquarters?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I don't know if HE does, but I'd heard that.

I think it's crazy that he wouldn't use Matilda because of whatever happened there during WW2 - but *shrugs* it's irrelevant for us this time around anyway!! Maybe next time, if I REALLY want to go to Matilda, I can work on him, win him over ;)

my hubby refuses to go to indonesia because of the race riots there abotu 10 years ago...

even if matilda was used, it wasn't built for that purpose, it was taken over... they didn't have much say in the matter.

by the way, as an aside....my mother-in-law doesn't know when she was born because her family burned all of their documents when the japanese invaded... even her id card just has a year, and their not even sure if that is correct...

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Carang

That's news to me because I went to Prince of Whales hospital and they told me that they were full and to go elsewhere to find a hospital to deliver. Also, I asked them if they knew of any hospitals that I could try and they didn't give me any information! They handed me my confirmation letter back and sent me on my way. I left the hospital crying and stressed out because I thought I would have to deliver my baby on the streets! My husband was able to talk to someone who helped us find a different hospital.

wow,megan, how TERRIBLE!

i have heard that pow is VERY busy because that is the hospital that most of the mainland mothers go to.

there must not be much choice way out in sheung shui.

you poor thing! i've never heard of a gov't hospital turning people away. as i said, i was always told that the gov't hospital would NOT turn anyone away.

i would write a letter to the SCMP describing what happened to you!

you poor thing!

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Not sure if it made a difference or not but I technically did not have my Hong Kong ID card yet. I do have it now. I did tell them that I was in the process of getting a card.

I also assumed that it wouldn't be a problem that's why I was so shocked when that happened and then scared that I wouldn't find a hospital. Anyway, all is good now. I am so happy my current doctor; by far better than my doctor that I saw in America.

Thanks for the concern though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast