Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cost of entire pregnancy, private vs public

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, that would DEFINITELY make a difference. if you had your hkid they could not possibly turn you away. they may have chosen not to understand that you were waiting to get it.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Hi Stacey,

I am using the Allianz Worldwide Care (International) provided by my husband company. (I am on dependent visa too). Does your husband company provides you the Healthcare insurance too?
    I am with Union Hospital (Tai Wai). They quoted me around HK$80K for my delivery package (Virginal delivery) including room charge (Private room), and doctor fee HK$30k.

The reason they cant quote me the exact amount is because it depends on the private rooms availability on that day as I am going for virginal delivery. Charges for private rooms range from HK$2300 to HKS$3900.

As for my routine pregnancy check up, I am with Prestige Medical Centre. My regular check up cost HK$450 each visit including ultra sound scan (Not the 4D scan) with the photo. I didnt go for any blood test in HK, as I have done my blood test in UK during my early pregnancy. If not, the blood test would have costed around HK$1000 in my current Medical centre. Calcium tablets cost HK$10 for 2 weeks consumption.

We are very lucky as the insurance will cover all the above mentioned (full refund). Lets keep the fingers crossed that the insurance will fulfill whatever they have written and promised.

Good luck and have fun with your pregnancy.

Cheers,
    Ai Li

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Hi Stacey,

I am using the Allianz Worldwide Care (International) provided by my husband company. (I am on dependent visa too). Does your husband company provides you the Healthcare insurance too?
    I am with Union Hospital (Tai Wai). They quoted me around HK$80K for my delivery package (Virginal delivery) including room charge (Private room), and doctor fee HK$30k.

The reason they cant quote me the exact amount is because it depends on the private rooms availability on that day as I am going for virginal delivery. Charges for private rooms range from HK$2300 to HKS$3900.

As for my routine pregnancy check up, I am with Prestige Medical Centre. My regular check up cost HK$450 each visit including ultra sound scan (Not the 4D scan) with the photo. I didnt go for any blood test in HK, as I have done my blood test in UK during my early pregnancy. If not, the blood test would have costed around HK$1000 in my current Medical centre. Calcium tablets cost HK$10 for 2 weeks consumption.

We are very lucky as the insurance will cover all the above mentioned (full refund). Lets keep the fingers crossed that the insurance will fulfill whatever they have written and promised.

Good luck and have fun with your pregnancy.

Cheers,
    Ai Li

Quote Originally Posted by staceycolyer View Post
    I have just arrived in HK and am on a dependent visa. I will be getting a HK identity card quite soon. I am a UK citizen. I am hoping to fall pregnant within a year and have LOTS of questions!

1) Can anyone recommend a good insurer who will cover all pregnancy needs (initial doctor visits as well as hospital stay, birth etc), as well as cover the child after it is born.

2) I live in the Wan Chai area, can anyone recommend a good doctor in this, or near this area? And what would the best private and public hospitals in or near this area?

3) What are the entire costs of private pregnancy? (including all the pre-birth needs as mentioned above, and hospital stay, birth etc)

4) What are the entire costs of public hospital pregnancy?

5) Lastly, what is the difference in quality between private and public?

Your advice and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    The problem I find I HK is the difficulty with finding out accurate costs via telephone or the internet before committing (by booking an appointment). That is why these forums are so important for us expats, helps us to navigate the terrain.

Megan2008, what an awful experience. You know, I think about this quite a lot. Sure sometimes a person, place can not help you but there are ways of telling them, and some compassion they could show. Even though the staff at POW couldn't help you because they were full, I think they could have at least helped point you in the right direction so that you didn't have to go through that short time of intense stress. igh...don't know how to change the efficiency without compassion attitude.

AngelaM is offline Registered User
    My husband's insurance does not cover maternity so we decided to go public with private supplementation (i.e. OSCAR test, ultrasounds). My observations with the HK health-care system, whether private / public or medical / dental, is that you as a consumer really need to be informed and educated about your condition and health interventions. In addition, you also need to ask the 'right' questions .. it seem that the practitioners will only perform what YOU ask of them and are quite indecisive about a diagnosis or an opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123