Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

International Nursery & Kindergarten -- When and how many to apply?

miao is offline Registered User

International Nursery & Kindergarten -- When and how many to apply?

With a 4-month old baby, I know I'm a little crazy to start worrying about his school applicatoin. But having heard quite a few stories about how competitive the international schools are, I would appreciate hearing from experienced parents on the following questions:

1. How many schools do people normally apply for? I've visited the Victoria school at the Belcher's, and they said their acceptance rate last year was below 50% for the pre-nursery class (2-3 years old). I suppose then we should file multiple applications to make sure he has a seat in one school at least.

2. When do people apply for the pre-nursery class? Again, Victoria at the Belcher's starts taking application less than 1 year before the erollment. Is that a fairly general practice? I just don't want to suddenly find out that we have missed the deadline (or applied too late for acceptance priority purposes) for many schools.

3. Finally, are there any other good recommendations for international nursery/kindergarten in the mid-level/porkfulam area?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Mommy Poon is offline Registered User

Hi - my baby is four months old and a bit. We have already enrolled him in one year nursery class. He is on the waiting list for morning classes but confrimed for the afternoon session.

Sunshine House is quite good. They have a branch in pokfulam.

miao is offline Registered User

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Genro, you mean I should start putting baby's name down for a primary school? Are they even more competitive than the kindergartens? If I tell people at home about all these I'm sure they'll laugh me, but I guess this is Hong Kong for us.

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User

Most famous local Kindergarten accepts pre-nursery class application (2 years old) in around Sept-Nov for next year entry (Aug). After that, they do not accept any more application.

On KLN side, Victoria, Learning Habitat are both good.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

From my experience most children are on waiting lists for international schools from birth, and before at least 12 months old.

By the time my son was a year old the international school (primary) he has his name down for was already full for his year.

ESF schools do not accept applications that early, only the year before the child needs to start.

sprawld is offline Banned

any recommendation for a 6 month old baby? Should I start with playgroups or just wait till they are 1 yr and go for the 1 year nursery class?

PennyKaur is offline Registered User

Hi all

My Baby is 11 months, i am not sure whether i have to put her to local chinese schools or international school, what are advantages and disadvantages. i have heard, if put her to international schools they do not learn chinese and cantonese language. Anyone knows if there is bilangual nursery in Ma on shan or Kowloon Tong ? Appreciate and thanks in advance!

NewMommie is offline Registered User

I don't know where this information about international schools taking names down at birth is coming from, because I called several international schools and none of them would take an application before 2 years old (for entry at 4 years old). The schools I called include CIS and ISF - two of the most sought after international schools. Which schools can I apply to before that that people are referring to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast