Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air travel after c-section?

salevizos is offline Registered User

Air travel after c-section?

Hi. I am unexpectedly having to travel back to the US after a c-section for a family emergency, hopefully as soon as possible after my twins are born; it should take about 2 weeks to get them passports.

Has anyone done any long-haul air travel (11-ish hours) within weeks of a c-section? I was hoping to get some feedback on the experience...issues with breastfeeding, level of comfort (economy or business class), incision pain/infection, helpful tips on what to bring both for myself and babies, etc. Really anything that you think might be relevant.

My doctor seems to think it should be OK, barring any kind of infection prior to my departure, but that is a clinical viewpoint.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
    Sarah

rachrobin is offline Registered User
    Hey Sarah,

I will try to call you later and chat about this. So sorry to hear you have a family crisis.

Although my c-section was difficult due to a drug reaction, the actual healing has been pretty good. It will be 2 weeks tommorrow and I feel about 80%.

Please make sure they give you plenty of pain relief and enough to get you through the first week at home. The most pain is in the first 7 days. Try to avoid lifting ANYTHING - have someone pass the babies to you and back again. Don't expect to be able to walk far or carry anything.

The stitches come out on day 5 and it is more comfortable then. You need to avoid laughing, coughing and sneezing!

If I had to fly right now I would feel fine about it, provided all I needed to carry was the diaper bag! I am fine to hold the baby and carry her around the flat - but not in a sling or capsule yet.

Take care and we'll talk soon.

Rach X

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    make sure you take your pain killers at regular intervals before the pain kicks in. I haven't flown right after my c-section, but I was able to carry my 25lbs son 2 weeks after my 2nd son was born. Good Luck!!

carang is offline Registered User
    i took both of my kids to canada 5 weeks after my youngest was born (my older one had just turned 2). i did it by myself, economy for 36 hours door-to-door, 7 airports, one blizzard, sitting on the runway for 4+ hours...

didn't have any problems, other than that...LOL! if you can afford business class, go for it. will you be taking the kids?

ps> rach... and not to be crude, but that first pooh can be kinda hard (literally and figuratively!)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- with my first born I flew 5 weeks after he was born by c-section and had no problems.

With my second c-section I was carrying my 21 month old, and very heavy toddler, on the 3rd day after my daughter was born. On the 3rd day I was off the painkillers and almost back to normal.

So I would say it all depends on how well and fast you recover from the c-section.

salevizos is offline Registered User
    Thanks ladies for the feedback. I tend to try to do too much, so its good to hear that Im not the only one.

Cara - Ill have my husband with me, so hopefully we can manage. I always hated those people in B-class who brought their infants on flights, but I guess Im going to turn into one of them!

Sarah

carang is offline Registered User
    i WISH i was one of the lucky ones in business class, child or not! it can't possibly be worse than stuck in cattle class...oops, i mean economy with kids!

it's funny when i was in the line to check in on that trip, my husband was quite chuffed to see all of the people looking at our wonderful/beautiful children, until i expained to him, they weren't admiring our kids, they were thinking< PLEASE GOD, DON'T LET THEM SIT BY ME!>

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I took a flight alone with my son when he was only a few months old- when I sat down in my seat the man next to me started complaining under his breath about being sat next to a baby for the next 12 hrs! It was awful....thankfully the plane wasn't full and the air hostess moved me.

I have heard that if you aren't polite to the check in staff they will put you next to a baby if they can!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast