Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Naming the baby?

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Were you both happy with that arrangement? Did your hubby like the name that you picked, and did you like the name that he picked??
    Yes. But there was some little give-and-take. Sort of rank the choices and see which one comes out on top. But we weren't really far apart to begin with.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    snap - i had always thought the same and we had major difficulty naming our first son - plenty of girls name but NO boys name that we agreed upon. I hated the name that my husband wanted and he wasn't too keen on the name i really wanted. after the birth he gave in and we went with the name i loved.

for son #2 it was MUCH harder. we seriously did not have one single name that we could agree upon. we knew the gender from early in the pregnancy and were still no closer to having a name by the due date.

thankfully we found a name in a book a few days before he was born.

it would be nice to say that it was a name that we both loved - but it wasn't. it is a name that we both didn't hate......

it seemed so wrong for this to be our only option but neither of us would budge this time.

anyway..this is the name we eventually used. now that it is a little person and not just a name it has grown on us and we both love it.

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    I think that at the end of the day, even if you go for a name you are both only ok with initially, once you see your baby and call him/her by that name, the name automatically takes a different turn and become a name you love because it's the name of your child.

Naming is by far the most difficult thing to decide on!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I never knew it was this hard...

You know when you're young and single and you think about baby names, you think it'd be SO fun to name a baby - and you get all these GREAT ideas of names and all that, whether it's cool names or sentimental ones or whatever... but then you get married and there go all the great ideas ;) ;)

Speculator is offline Registered User

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    We had a tough time, too, because my hubby and I also had very different ideas on names. We have two girls, and I liked really feminine names, and he liked modern/edgy names. There weren't a whole lot of names in the middle ground.

With our 2nd daughter, there was a name that my hubby really liked, but I didn't really like very much. However, after she was born, I spent about 2 or 3 days trying out different names on her, and the one name that I didn't really like was the one that fit her and stuck. Now I love it. :)

Best of luck!

Oh, and as for the Chinese names... my hubby is also Chinese, and we compromised by having an English first name and a Chinese middle name. DH said he didn't care if they had one or not, but considering our kids are half Chinese, I really didn't want them to miss out on that part of their heritage.
    All the best,
    Katie

Speculator is offline Registered User
    I am a UK born Hong Konger and my wife is a native Hong Konger. My main consideration was to find a Chinese name for my daughter that translated well in English and vice versa.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    In my family, we always used first names that were nice, sounded good etc - and the middle names were more "sentimental", so I always wanted to do the same with our kids. I still want to do that... my husband is totally against using any names that anyone in our families have used for the past 3 generations! Which is really annoying because there are some really good names that some of his more distant relatives had but he still doesn't want to use them!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast