Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Nature's One Baby's Only Formula?

kamane18 is offline Registered User

Question Nature's One Baby's Only Formula?

Has anyone used this formula (the dairy based one) and if so, what was your experience? We are TTCing for #2 and because of a pre-existing medical condition my doctors have strongly recommended that I NOT breastfeed. Which I'm not happy about. But if this is the case, I will only use an organic baby formula as I'm very against antibiotics and growth hormones in dairy, as well as chemicals, corn syrup, etc.

The two brands of organic formula that seem most appealing are Earth's Best and Baby's Only. I lean toward the Baby's Only since I like that it does not contain Martek's DHA/ARA (which are chemically processed with hexane and can cause digestive problems) and because it does not contain palm oil.

However, the carbohydrate base in the Baby's Only is organic brown rice syrup (with naturally occurring lactose as well) instead of all organic lactose. While I find this appealing in some ways, I'm wondering if most newborns would be able to tolerate/digest brown rice syrup from birth. Baby's Only says it is for 12 months and up but according to the company that is only because they politically want to encourage breastfeeding for the first year. And according to pediatricians, it contains all the necessary nutrients for newborns/infants.

So just looking for opinions, advice, what worked for you... TIA!

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    While I don't specifically know about the formulas you are talking about it is not a good idea to give infants formula from the wrong time frame i.e. a newborn should not receive 6-12 month formula as the formulations are materially different, even though calorifically they might be adequate. I know from my own investigation that formula for slightly older babies (i.e. +6 months) has more iron in it because at the 6 month mark a baby's iron stores dwindle ect. I would talk to your paediatrician about it and not believe too much of the blub on the Baby's Only website, after all they are trying to peddle a product

pixel is offline Registered User
    I'm a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) so if you would like a second opinion on not breastfeeding please pm me.

All formulas are very similar to be honest, the rest is marketing.

pixel is offline Registered User
    I should add, of course, that I agree with your choice not to have a formula that contains Martek's DHA/ARA. The FDA are considering overturning their acceptance of it.