Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

7mths baby - waking more often

NYCMel is offline Registered User

My son is 7 months old as well and his first tooth broke through last week. After a 7pm put down, he woke up at midnight (we didn't feed) then again at around 3am. He would go to bed on a full stomach too...sounds like yours just might be teething and he's just in discomfort.

motherOF2 is offline Registered User

Seems like I'm not the only one. My son who is now 6 mths old is waking up at least 2 or sometimes 3 or 4 times during the night after he goes to bed around 7 ish. I've also just started solids so shouldn't he be sleeping better?????
    (My husband says that it's because our son is soooo in love with his mother that he misses me and needs to see me all the time !!!!!)
    I'm still breastfeeding and I give him pureed vege and fruit puree mixed with rice cereal for lunch / dn. Followed by bf just before he goes to bed at 7 ish. 10.30 pm I give him a bottle of 6 oz of formula milk (dream feed). Between then and 7 am sometimes he wakes up 2-3 times and each time he gets up, I give him the breast and he goes back to sleep. Can't figure out if he is really hungry or just sucking for comfort?
    ps: I tried the controlled crying method and he's now able to go to sleep in the evening on his own (sometimes he still cries and sometimes not). But when he wakes up during the night, he does not go back to sleep on his own.
    Any ideas on why ?

thanks ...

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Developmental stage

Both of my 2 did the same thing. In my opinion they were simply more aware of their surroundings, could roll and were learning to sit, and had not yet learnt to put themselves back to sleep. So it was a developmental stage. They wake up and shout for mum (or dad). Best thing if you can is to try and encourage them back to sleep without nursing, or picking up. Saying that - I did both of those things until they were abit older. Not tough enough I am afraid, but my friends who were willing to use controlled crying or some other technique had more sleep than me. :)

fennho is offline Registered User

thanks mel
    for the life of me, i dont think i will EVER be able to let my baby CIO or any form of controlled crying. I'll do with the sleep deprivation for now. Tat's a mommy's sacrifice. :)

motherOF2 is offline Registered User

Well Mel, when my baby woke up the other night I tried to pat him back to sleep, even gave him his pacifier but he went on wriggling about and screaming refusing to go back to sleep. I think he wanted to play and after spending some time talking to him and finally giving in, gave him the boob !!! He went back to sleep. What a disaster !!!

adahc is offline Registered User

I tried not to pick him upm as someone here suggested but then what do you do when he decided to sit up and hold on to the rail! I can' see him let go of it and lay down all by himself! Any suggestion?

NYCMel is offline Registered User

I tried controlled crying last month and it didn't work. As most of have said, my 7 month year old now crawls up and down his crib and can even stand. He definitely was teething, but occassionally he would have complete outbursts, but still be asleep which leads me to believe he was having some sort of nightmare. I would just pick him up and shush him back to sleep.

I am weak and have failed miserably at any type of crying down techniques. At first, I am very into it, but then by the 3rd night I just cave in....

I figure my son will sleep through the night when he's good and ready - - i hope it's just not when he's 3 years old!

fennho is offline Registered User

OMG, for the past 3 nights, have been having panda eyes. The worst was yesterday night. My gal kept flipping back and forth in her cot. She'd flip and then do push-ups on her hands and she kept trying to sleep again. So i pat her and she went back to sleep only to wake a few mins later. Around midnight, i picked her up and brought her into my bed. She snuggled close to me and slept next to me. But barely 30mins later, she jolted awake and it all went downhill from there. She kept flipping back and forth and crying louder and louder. It's like she wants to sleep but her body got a mind of its own, jus flipping over and over and she got so frustrated. Her butt jus kept arching up like she wants to get on all fours. I'm guessing she's trying to sit up on her own (she still hasnt learn this yet altho she can sit pretty well now if we lift her up). Or maybe she's trying to crawl?

I dunno...all i know is finally, she only went to sleep if i carry her in MY arms. Once i lay her down, she'd be flipping and crying again. Even if i attempt to nurse her. But she'd calmed and go to sleep in my arms without even nursing. By then it's almost 3-4am, and i can only sleep sitting up. Only aft she's in REALLY DEEP sleep, that i manage to put her down and get some sleep of my own.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I really hope it's not going to happen again...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast