Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

7mths baby - waking more often

carang is offline Registered User

it sounds to me like your girl is in some serious discomfort. she probably has some teeth coming out. my girl was/is always a nightmare for a couple of weeks before her teeth erupt, then she settles down and is back to normal.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Maybe try some baby panadol or baby ibuprofen to see if pain is the issue? If it's difficult getting her to swallow the liquid, you can get suppositories prescribed by her doc that are ok for a young baby. When they are really in pain it can be better to use these as they don't want anything near their mouths (maybe that's the reason she doesn't want to nurse??).

fennho is offline Registered User

thanks carang/LeahH
    My fren also suggested it might be pain related to either teething or she even said her baby once cried painfully due to constipation! Anyone of u had this experience? Can a baby be in pain due to constipation?

Also, if it's teething, when do i know when to feed her baby panadol/ibuprofen/tylenol if she's not running a fever? I'm not sure if it's really teething, cos there was a point in time where she cried herself to full wakefulness (before that she was half sleep/half awake), and then she wasnt crying anymore as long as i carry her in my arms. If it's teething, she would be in discomfort either way rite?

She already have 2 of her bottom front tooth out by half, will this continue to cause pain as it continue to sprout? I dont see anything on her upper gum though.

Leah
    She didnt refuse nursing, jus didnt root for it. I didnt offer anymore (after the first round where i know she had her fill and it's not hunger anymore) cos she was lying in my arms contentedly but will kick up a fuss by twisting and flipping around her body and crying miserably when i put her down.

Jus now tried putting her to sleep, nursed and fell asleep promptly within 15mins. Her arms are all limp and i tot she's in deep sleep, tried putting her down into the cot, and she quickly wake up, and WAILED! Struggled in the cot, so i picked her up and again she fell asleep in my arms. This repeated for 5times, and at times i can see she was crying with her eyes close. Poor gal, obviously tired. Now i'm wondering if it's separation anxiety? But she's wailing like she's in pain! HELP!

Comments again pls?

she can be teething and you NOT see it. the teeth don't just spring up out of no where, they can take weeks or even a month to cut.

she stops/slows down the crying because you are comforting her. if she sounds like she's in pain, try a little panadol. it won't kill her and it might ease the pain a little.

fennho... i can tell you something very personal... when i was a child and i was feeling very nauseous, i can remember sitting in front of the toilet and my mother sitting on the side of the bathtub beside me slowly rubbing my back. TO THIS DAY i hate to get sick without my mum there to comfort me. she couldn't take away the discomfort, but she DID help, just her touch. i've talked about this with my younger brother and he has EXACTLY the same memories and the same feelings about it.

it seems to me that your baby is looking for comfort and by picking her up and carrying her, you are providing that. she truly sounds like she is in genuine discomfort and if a little panadol might help, then give it a go!

it is unlikely that it is separation anxiety as such, it's just that she needs your comfort to help her through her pain.

good luck!

fennho is offline Registered User

carang
    thanks for sharing. Yes, Im not one of those mommies that let baby CIO. I wouldn't be able to stomach it. I did comfort her.like when I attempt to put her down, it was to put her down next to me on my bed. And I'd also lie down to cuddle and hold her. She jus refused! Only will stop crying if I sit up and hold her in my arms.

Sorry to be asking this stupid question, but is Tylenol a "baby panadol" and can be given to relieve teething pain? Is there a guide how many times a day can we give? Can we give even when baby is not running a fever? Problem is my gal has always been a crybaby and fussy one too. Since her early months she's colicky and protest her dislikes by crying LOUDLY. Hence sometimes I can't really tell if its pain or jus her being loud. Like this evening, I went to prep her dinner and left her on the playmat in the living room. She was fine for a few mins and them cried and cried until I came out from the kitchen and soothe her. I was there right next to her and pick her up, she was smiling (amidst her tears) but when I put her back down in a sitting position (still next to me) she instantly broke into very loud cries with tears rolling down her cheeks! Its like turning on the tap! See, she can cry like that with jus wanting to be picked up. Tats y I dunno when she's really in pain and when to give her some meds. Stupid useless mommy rite? I feel so helpless seeing her cry.

first.... STOP INSULTING YOURSELF! AIYA! you will never feel confident when it comes to raising your child if you don't stop that nonsense!!!

how do you think the rest of us manage? we use trial and error. we are not born with answers, we try things out and see if it works, if not,then we try something else. all we can tell you is what worked for us.

you realise that the more you say/hear something, the more you believe it, right? so, if you are constantly telling yourself that youa re a useless mother, then guess what??? it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy!!!!

no one likes to see their baby cry! no one!

i never did CIO either, as i didn't have the heart for it.

when you are preparing dinner, why don't you put the baby into the highchair and pull the highchair into the doorway of hte kitchen? then the baby can see you and you can interact with her. you can give her a book to read or s piece of apple to chew or something?

as for the crying... the fact that she wants you to sit up makes me think that it is comfort that she is looking for. she could still be in pain but she feels comforted by your actions.

tylenol and panadol are exactly the same thing. if you are unsure, take her to the doctor. the doctor might be able to prescribe something for her and then you will have the dosage correct.

when my kids went through this, i would sit on the bed and then slowly inch my way down to a sleeping position for me. it seemed to work for me SOMETIMES.

now... go to the bathroom mirror and repeat the following 100x and do it every time you feel useless:

"I am a smart woman and a good mother. I do the best I can for my baby. I don't always have the answers, but that doesn't make me useless."

pixelelf is offline Registered User

hey fenn! sorry to hear about this :(

remember the last time kai cried inconsolably for days (think it lasted 2 weeks)? it was the exact reaction, day and night. for me, putting him in the ergo helped alot. he calmed down and it relieved my back of stress quite abit, cos he wanted to be carried for hours. i didn't give him any medication though, cos holding him seemed to helped him alot and he wasn't running any fever.

take care!

adahc is offline Registered User

Fenho,
    Again our babies develop similar pattern. The week before last, he began to wake up almost every 2 hours and we just realised that his second tooth is cutting through. Then he he calmed down for about a week. Now he startd to get up and cry loudly everytime he awake at night. I'm scratching my head of why and dread the night when my husband has to work late or go away for work...I was planing to give him Tynadol last night but it turned out that he woke uo but got back tosleep quickly after I fed him. In fact I didnt even feed him. I just hold him in that position on the pillow. Now I'm concerned of how are we going to train him to skip the night feeds.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast