Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Allergy to formula but not to cow milk

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Question Allergy to formula but not to cow milk

Hello,
    I've been breastfeeding my baby till now (he is 8 months), and since a few days I started to add formula to his porridge, to get him used to the new taste... As he seemed to like it I gave him some more in a bottle and then he started to have skin reaction, small red spots on his belly.
    I've stopped to see if it disappeared, and it did, so I started the formula again and the spots reappeared. But on the other side, he is eating baby yogourts in the morning for 2 months, plus sometimes some cheese, and nothing happened before.
    I give him Organic Infant Babynat formula, I don't mind trying another one, but is it possible to be allergic to a formula but not to cow milk ? (I've already done some allergic tests and I know he is not allergic to cow milk, gluten, soja....).
    Did you already have the same situation ?
    Thanks for your help !!
    Last edited by Frenchy; 07-31-2008 at 11:10 PM.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I have been having formula allergy problems too with my 10 month old. Can you please tell me where you had the allergy test done?

Kly
    Kly is offline Registered User
    My son also had red spots when drinking formula and now drinks Isomil Advance, it is a soy formula and is milk and Lactose free. You can buy them everywhere.
    He has an allergy to milk but he is fine when we give him yogurt, cheese and Pura milk with his cereal. It's only when he drinks milk in large volumes that he startes getting a reaction. However, the reactions have lessened as he has gotten older.

Hope that helps :)

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Thanks Kly ! it looks a bit the same situation, maybe there is just one ingredient in the formula that makes him react, I hope it will also disappear when he gets older.
    I'll give a try to Isomil, hoping he likes the taste ! It's been already a battle to make him accept a formula, Babynat was the 7th one as he didn't accept any other !

AndreaY, I had the test done by an homeopath, don't know if you trust or not this method, as it's not skin test. I've met Dr Bradshaw at IMI, he has been great with my son, as he also had severe coughing problems after birth, and he has been the only one who really helped.
    Maybe the details are in the directory, if not just ask.

Thanks mums !