Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Potty training question

Kly
    Kly is offline Registered User

Potty training question

Hi everyone,
    I'm on the 4th day toilet training my 27 month old son. He won't sit in a potty but will happily sit on a training seat on the toilet which is fine and he understands that is where he goes for a pee pee.
    When he needs to go to the toilet, he will take me to the toilet and voluntarily sits, but nothing happens. I know he needs to go as I can see a couple of drops he has made on his pants. He will do this a few more times until he is absolutely desperate and eventually does pee, but whilst that is happening, he is desperate to get off the toilet.
    Does this mean he is still not ready? He can go for an hour or so each time before needing to go to the toilet, so I know he has bladder control.
    Also, I've been using the same word "pee pee" every time, but he still won't say it when he needs to go. He just takes my hand and leads me to the toilet. He's not a very talkative little boy normally but was wondering whether this was another sign.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Mommy Poon is offline Registered User
    My baby will urinate almost automatically when i put him on his potty, I say "shh shh" sometimes. There are times that he will try to get up from his potty and I won't force him to sit down too long if he really wants to get up..and this is usually because he has peed in his nappy already.

He didn't like his first potty so I bought him another one which he quite likes. It seems him knows the toilet is the toilet, just give it some time before he understands what "pee pee" means.

I put my BB on the potty, ie first thing in the morning when he opens his eyes, before each feed, then every now and then when I am free and before bedtime.

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Hi Kly,
    I just trained my 28 month old daughter this week and before that she was quite reluctant to pee in the toilet. So I just delayed it until we moved here this month, I started again and the first day she had many accidents, after that day, she was trained and kept telling me when she wanted to pee.
    The main thing is that your son doesn't mind sitting on the toilet, so that's the first step. I've been told by other moms that they would literally sit by the toilet for however long it takes them to go. So at least they get the concept of going into the toilet.
    I sang with my daughter and read her books at first so that she would be comfortable...
    Sometimes it helps that kids see other kids going potty, and learn from it. I had my daughter in school when we were in Canada, so she was able to see other classmates go and got the concept of that.

Don't worry too much.. all toddlers will eventually be toilet trained, it just takes time and one day he'll surprise you and go potty.

Good luck!
    ~Theresa~

Kly
    Kly is offline Registered User
    Thank you Mommy Poon and katelynBB for your advice.

My son also had loads of accidents on the first day but I too sat and sang/read stories to make him comfortable with the toilet which seems to have helped.
    I think the frustration that makes me wonder whether if he is ready is that he doesn't actually pee when he leads me to the toilet. But I suppose as you mentioned, it's a start and he made progress, so I'll see how it goes for another couple of days. I certainly don't wish to stop and go back to day 1 again...aaarrhhhhh!