Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Levy

rani is offline Administrator
    HappyMe,

I think the date is when you pick up the visa from immigration. You have to pay the levy then. Do you remember paying?

CWBMum, can you ask your agent, if you need to pay your helper severance/long service pay and give her the $ for a ticket home? Cos you are terminating the contract.

mushi is offline Registered User
    hi shri, i have heard that the govt is making some revision to this suspension clause to include levys that are being in installments and have not yet been pd....any idea on this? also what are the extra expenses one needs to pay for if contract terminated/re-done with same helper? just want to understand if it is better to re-hire or to continue paying the levy....thanks

peainpod is offline Registered User
    On costs, it should come to around H$460 to terminate/rehire a helper from the Philippines. The HK govt will charge $160 for the visa processing and the Philippines consulate charges HK$297.50 to notarize the new contract. (This is if you do all the paperwork yourself. Agents will obviously charge a fee if you go through them.)

There is no need to factor in the costs of an airticket as the HK govt is allowing "deferred home leave" for early termination/rehiring so that under this "advanced contract renewal arrangement, helpers are not required to leave Hong Kong after the termination of the existing contract."

Info is posted on the govt website at this link:
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/fdh_acr.htm

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    Hi
    Rani - Had a chat with my agency women, she said if you have had your helper for more than 4 years (2 contracts), wish to continue signing for her then its up to you if you pay severance pay now or later. The next new contract will be without Levy. If you have signed your helper again and are on the 3rd contract, say 3 months into it then you can renew the contract either yourself through the government or through an agent. I have chosen to go through agent as I am living far away from town and with two small children, don't fancy standing around for hours.
    My helper does not have to return to the Philippines nor do we have to pay her for a air ticket.
    I hope this helps - all new to this really as this is the first full time helper we have had and first time we have used an agency.
    I am sure if you called any agency up they will be willing to explain it to you.

mushi is offline Registered User
    dear peainpod, thanks so much for giving us the cost....saves a lot of trouble....one more cost would be the return ticket to her home that u have to bear.....in the current arrangement we have to pay only one way....so that should be about $1000 extra....plus the $100 per month that u have to pay her .....what do u say? have u gone thru this process yourself? did yr helper manage to do all the paperwork? i don;t know why my helper is all worried about this/...how do i reassure her?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Hi Mushi, sorry I should have clarified that the situation I mentioned above ($460, no need for airticket) applies only if you rehire you current helper (i.e. advance contract renewal) and NOT if you fire the current one and hire a new helper. If you change helpers, then course you would have to pay for a ticket home for the old helper (and pay for the new helper's ticket as well).

I think it's quite straightforward to do the advance renewal yourself. You can downlaod all of the forms from the HK Immig at this link (except for the green contract which you need to get 4 orig copies from Immig - but yr helper will be able to do that. Most helpers keep a stock or can get from their friends).
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/fdh_acr.htm

If your helper is from the Philippines, then just download the express contract processing form from the consulate website, and then get your helper to bring it to the consulate together with 4 signed orig contracts to get it notarized.
    http://www.philcongen-hk.com/labor/main.htm

Your helper can then take the notarized contracts plus all of the Immig forms and supporting docs to Immig tower in Wanchai to apply for her new visa.

My helper was a Direct Hire so I did all the documentation myself when I first hired her. The renewal process seems a bit simpler, and she can probably do all of the running around herself, without needing you to go.

Mushi, if your helper is confused/worried, I think she should talk to her friends on her day off. They have very good networks and I'm sure they can explain to her how to go thru the whole application process.

Query is offline Registered User
    I am wondering for those who are terminating and rehiring the SAME helper, when are you supposed to allow her to take her end of contract 2 weeks holiday (assuming you plan to rehire her at the end of her contract). Do you let her take it at the time she completes her original contract term or the new one?

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Had a couple of questions on the renewal please:

1) Do we have to provide the income proof and other personal information documents (employer information not DH information) again?

2) How long does everything take (1 day, 1 month, etc.) - if next levy payment is due on October 30, can we do everything in mid-October?

Thanks. :)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast