Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Union vs. Prince of Wales

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Yeah, from what I saw of Union, it sounds pretty much the same.
    I definitely can NOT afford a private room and a nanny so that is out of the question. But I really really hate the idea of confining my newborn to a room where I'm only allowed to see it when I'm breastfeeding. Not to mention my husband not being allowed to participate in any way outside of the 15 minute holding session. It just seems so unreasonable.
    Is there anyone who didn't mind this??

For Micstand, that's funny we're both at 15 weeks. I haven't visited POW yet, I just called them. When I said I wasn't a HK resident, she abruptly told me they were full all the way through December. I said A-HA! I'm due at the end of Jan! And then she just muttered that I should come in person to enquire. But I didn't ask about their private ward. Again, can't afford the frills - POW would be almost as much as Union for me. But I like the idea of baby time. I'll have to consider this more carefully.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

Hi Aili,

They rang the phone in my room to let me know that it was feeding time and I had to go downstairs. It was hard at first because just a couple of hours after birth I was in a wheelchair but rapidly got my strength back and even though I had to hold the padded rails and shuffle more than walk down to the nursery; the short walk to and from DEFINITELY did me good as the next morning I felt ridiculously fit. Hope that helps and please don't be shy to PM if you have any other questions. Good Luck, ladies!

fhurley is offline Registered User

Hi,
    I cannot praise POW enough. I had my first baby there in Feb this year and it was a very positive experience.
    I was nervous as coming from England things can be quite different from what I had been led to believe the public system was like here. I wanted a natural birth, no episiotomy and my husband present. I also requested baby to stay with me constantly afterwards for breastfeeding.
    POW were fantastic they stuck to my birth plan throughout delivery and during aftercare. During labour the doctors and nurses read my wishes and worked really hard to stick to them. I had the birth I wished for - natural, no episiotomy and my husband there throughout. Afterwards they gave us some privacy to enjoy our new baby. As a result of the birth I was as good as new within two days.
    The nurses were great they helped me breastfeed and my baby stayed with me throughout on the ward. (This is up to you - you can have them taken to the nursery if you want to rest)
    Also I believe that POW has one of the best neo natal care units in HK because it is a teaching hospital this is especially important if there is a danger of complications with the baby. You may want to check as I believe that the private hospitals in Central send there babies to Queen Mary if there is a problem and you may find that is the case with Union and POW.
    I would recommend POW without reservation, if you want to talk to me about my experience please feel free to message me and I will send my phone number.
    Good Luck
    Frances

jaykay is offline Registered User

We had to make this choice last year and were leaning towards the Union hospital. But 2 things changed that. The first was the change in rules for mainland mothers which meant the Union hospital resembled "Little Shenzhen". The second was the fact the baby was not with the mother after birth.

So we went with POW and it was fantastic. Hardly anyone on the wards, baby with mum all the time. Superb with delivery and helping with breastfeeding. English there I would say far surpasses Union as well. Would use again no doubt.

Kawai is offline Registered User

I gave birth to my 2 kids in Union. The environment and facilities are wonderful. I take the twin room and found it spacious and clean. Perfect for a new mom who need to take rest.

Another experience to share......when my girl was born in 2006, she got Jaundice - at a level which was really dangerous and needed to prepare for blood transfer. Since Union doesn't have the facilities, they arranged to transfer my baby to PWH at mid night....and my doctor has called up the PWH doctors to breif them the case as well. So, I believe the Union doctor and nurses have done a good job in monitoring the baby status and very responsible.

For your case, I would suggest you seek advice from your doctor.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Matilda Hospital

Hi

I am also not a HK resident, after reading the restriction in union. I am thankful I Union do not have a space for me.
    I am delivering my baby in Nov 2008. I finally got a place in Matlida. Their standard room which have 4 patient is also very reasonable for normal delivery which cost about HK$20,000, though I am going for the single room. My gyna should still be able to get bed space there.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Baby Time

oh i forgot to mention that matilda do allow the baby to room-in with mother in both private & shared room. if anyone need more info please feel free to ask.

BTW i just arrived in HK 3 weeks ago (none HK resident) & just booked this hospital last week and I am already 28 weeks pregnant.

mrg9192 is offline Registered User

Shenzhennifer,
    We are also living in Shenzhen (near Coco Park). My wife will be giving birth at Union a month from now, so feel free to pm if you need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12