Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

7 months - First tooth

NYCMel is offline Registered User

7 months - First tooth

My son's first tooth just came in last week. He doesn't really have any interest exploring foods (i put a mashed banana in front of him to explore with and he did nothing with it.)

What new foods can be given to him as snacks?

MLBW Guest

Is your son already eating solid foods? If you are talking about letting your son "explore" foods by playing with them with his hands to get the texture and smell and such...then I guess your approach makes sense.

However, I find that most of the time it's better to put some of the food in the baby's mouth so that he can get a taste of what it is--then that may or may not pique his interest.

My son isn't a huge fan of bananas but he does really like pureed apples. I mix the apples in with his baby rice cereal when I feed him breakfast in the morning.

When we're eating our meals, we give our son a little taste of the different foods we're eating as long as they are not foods a baby shouldn't have (i.e. we avoid honey, fish, dairy...etc.) This way we get a understanding of what our son likes and doesn't. Surprisingly, he likes the taste of lemons and raspberries as well as curry--things we thought he would hate. And he doesn't like peaches, but we thought he would. We have some teething rusks by Heinz that you can buy at any Wellcome store--we let him chew on these but I wouldn't really consider them a "snack" per se.

At seven months, most babies don't usually do very much "self-feeding"--whenever they're given food to "eat" they usually will just play with it and if it happens to end up in their mouth it is mostly by accident.

My son is seven months old and has been eating solid food since he was five months old.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

NYCMel, a good guide book is Gina Ford's contented baby book of weaning. I found it very helpful.

MLBW, I'm not sure if you were writing specifically for your baby but I think in general fish is good for babies because of the omega 3 fats.

NYCMel is offline Registered User

thanks everyone! yes, i have gina's ford sleep book and am following annabel karmel's weaning book. yes, i meant more foods to explore. i know it's mostly just trial and error, but was reading some other baby books which said to give them more substantive foods which i felt my son could definitely NOT handle yet. my husband and i were just talking about introducing fish in the next couple of weeks. thanks!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymoo View Post
    NYCMel, a good guide book is Gina Ford's contented baby book of weaning. I found it very helpful.

MLBW, I'm not sure if you were writing specifically for your baby but I think in general fish is good for babies because of the omega 3 fats.
    Hi--I had read that it's probably not a good idea to give fish to babies as most fish (especially in HK) comes from waters that contain at least some pollution and things like mercury become an issue with babies as their brains are developing. Omega-3 is great for brains but there are other sources of that that are more safe for babies--sometimes I mix ground flaxseed into my baby's cereal for that reason.