Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

KUMON - do you believe in it?

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    I too, took Kumon as a kid and hated it. It was tedious work and I would find my concentration slipping. I did Kumon maths and did not do anything to improve my UNDERSTANDING of the subject -- just gave me the impression that I had to get to the end of the page before I could leave. As an adult I'm still pretty much an inebriate when it comes to maths - so I'd personally look for a more effective program possibly one that encourages learning through fun and offers better positive reinforcement/encouragement than congrats, you're now onto the next level of kumon!

tflynn is offline Registered User
    My son started Kumon at an early age. I forget how young but it was early Primary school. His maths grades where excellent.

We gave it up Kumon in P5 for other things like Olympic Maths. Using his school grades as a gauge, nothing worked for him. His maths started plummeting and pulled down his overall score because of the way it was marked.

At my sons request I started him back at Kumon at the end of Form 2. It took him the entire summer vacation and all the first term to catch up. The final result is he completed Form 3 this year in the top 3% of his school and is in the Select Class for next year in preparation for the HKCEE.

Also starting in Form 3 he selected a tutoring center for himself. Where in primary school he was willing to accept what he was told, he is now questioning things and that's where the Kumon method needs supplementing.

Yes Kumon is rote learning but for a young kid is that a bad thing? It did build up his ability and confidence to do well. I agree its painful filling out the workbooks every day, but it has worked for him and he recognizes it.

Nicoleeeee is offline Registered User
    Hi! My girl is 5 yr. She didn?t use Kumon. She is always using beestar.org. Beestar is a great online web site. It offers curricular-based exercises of math, English language art, science, etc. These exercises are very interesting, full of interesting stories, pictures, and also many practical problems. My daughter loves them very much.:yeah2
    Nicole

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    Hi Mushi and Milkmonster,
    Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about the articles. I have found them, but they are hard copy. You are welcome to borrow them as long as i get them back though. (Please PM me if you'd like to ) Alternatively, if you do a search on the lecturer, Dr. Constance Kami, I know a lot of her stuff is published in maths journals etc on line. She also has a few books out. Her stuff isn't exacty bed time reading, but has solid suggestions on how to help children think mathematically using games etc. The conference wasn't on Kumon, but on early childhood development in math and Dr. Kami was a student of Piaget - anyone who works in early childhood education has to study him. The 'benefits' of Kumon actually came up in the questions and her reply was that Kumon is not recognised by the government (in Japan anyway) as a viable math programme. The philosophy behind Kumon is speed/ procedures first, understanding later. My opinion (and every other teacher that I have discussed this with) is that speed without understanding is hollow. Feel free to make up your own mind!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Thanks wanfamily! I will have a look online and see what I can find.

tflynn, I think in your case, you have buy-in from your son which is really important and helps in getting a positive outcome.

val23 is offline Registered User

Any other math centers?

Hi All,

My son just started Kumon Math. I just saw what they had to do and thought it to be unideal and yes, tedious.

Does anybody know of any Math Centers that teach more practical stuff?

Thanks

meganx is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicoleeeee View Post
    Hi! My girl is 5 yr. She didn?t use Kumon. She is always using beestar.org. Beestar is a great online web site. It offers curricular-based exercises of math, English language art, science, etc. These exercises are very interesting, full of interesting stories, pictures, and also many practical problems. My daughter loves them very much.:yeah2
    Nicole
    Hi, we are also using Beestar now. I sent James to Kumon once, but he didn't like the place and the teaching style. He was always crying when doing school work. We gave up Kumon, and were recommended Beestar. He started the free math in Beestar last year, and gradually likes the 10 quick questions every week. He also loves to see his name on the honor roll. We are happy to see his progress with math.

rani is offline Administrator
    I bought a few Kumon books for my son, and I have noticed an improvement in his Maths. We're only doing a couple of pages a day.

He's going into Y3 at ESF, and the kids are being taught to add and subtract two and three digit numbers in their head. Which is hard for most adults, why would they except kids to do this? We've showed him how to stack numbers and tackle one column at a time. He's definitely a lot more confident, and he gets only 3 or 4 wrong vs the 10+ when he was doing them in his head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12