Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canossa Hospital

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Canossa Hospital

Hi,

Anyone has experience giving birth in Canossa Hospital? i read that they don't leave baby with mom in the room (except for private room). If i go for semi-private room, how do i Breastfeed if they don't leave baby in the room? Thanks.

augustbump is offline Registered User
    hi there

i am due to give birth in Canossa in the next few weeks. If i am not mistaken - if you are in a semi private room - you can request for the baby to be taken to your room but it is not encouraged. You will have to walk to the b/f room just outside the nurse station to b/f. I guess its the hospital policy to reduce noise pollution (?) or caused distress to other resting moms in the room ie standard room etc etc.

all the best!

kemerton is offline Registered User
    Hi - yes, i gave birth to both my children at Canossa. I had a private room the first time, and a semi-private the second time (though I was fortunate in that I had that room to myself). They bring the baby in at regular intervals - every 2 hours - to be breast-fed. It actually gives you just enough time to catch up on sleep in between. Also, you can always ask for your baby any time you want -whether it's because you just want to see him/her, or you want your guests to see the baby. The staff are very flexible and friendly.

augustbump is offline Registered User
    sorry Crystal88 for the misinformation on my part!

Clearly as kemerton said - you can request for your baby anytime you want. I probably spoke to a very strict nurse the day I was at the hospital and it may only apply for standard rooms.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at Canossa too, but had a private room. I asked my baby to stay with me and there was no problem. I was just a bit surprised that just right after the birth they put him in the nursery, and I had to ask to see him !
    Someone came to explain for the first feed (very useful to get some help for the first time !).
    First night they brought him every two hours, but it was not because he was hungry, just because it was fitting to their schedule, so sometimes he was sleeping, and some other time he had clearly been crying for a long time. So the second day I just asked to keep him with me all the time.
    Congratulations !

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your replies. After reading a few thread, i thought they are not BF friendly. We might opt for the 3 beds in 1 room, so my concern is if they bring the baby to BF.

Do they bring the baby to you ASAP after you have delivered to BF? I had my first in another hospital and it took more than an hour of request before they sent the baby to my room.

I'm still on my first trimester but was shocked to find out that we need to reserved the hospital as early as now and give deposit, so i have to make decision soon.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    As I wrote in my post, we had to ask to get our baby back from the nursery. My husband went to ask why he wasn't in our bedroom, and they brought him back immediately. Then he was with me in the first hour after his birth.
    As it was my first baby, I had no idea if this was normal or not, but I'll make sure next time he goes directly in my bedroom without a stop by the nursery !

The booking and deposit thing is quite normal here, as the birth number increases a lot at the end of the year. Paying a deposit "insures" you to have a room, still it's not 100% sure !
    The government has even taken the decision to refuse mainlanders mums to come to give birth in HK so there is enough rooms at the end of this year.
    I booked a room in 4 hospital last year, and got only one confirmation !

louisouis is offline Registered User
    I gave birth to my baby at Canossa 4 months ago. I had a semi-private room (2 to a room) and found the whole experience (Except with a misdiagnosis from the pediatrician)with the hospital and nursing staff to be very pleasant. The nurses are supportive and give you lots of guidance for BF. They will bring the baby to you for the first 2 days and after that you will have to go to the breastfeeding room. When I was pregnant I was appalled by the idea of not having the baby in the privacy of room but actually having all the breastfeeding mothers together in one room is good as it provides a supportive environment. Everyone will share their experience and it makes the whole new motherhood experience a lot easier as you definitely have a bunch of women who know what you are going through.

I was shocked by the hospital booking system here too, but I presume when you can't fight the system you have to join them. Join the queue as soon as possible as I was considered late too, not a nice feeing to have when you are not sure whether you will get a hospital bed to give birth!
    Good luck and congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast