Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

night time toilet training

carang is offline Registered User

night time toilet training

ok... my 3.5 year old has been completely day-time trained since before he was 2, but i'm having a b*tch of a time with the night training.

he knows what he is supposed to do. we talk about it throughout the day, and at night before he goes to sleep...he even "pinky promises" that he won't cry and will go in the toilet or potty when i get him up...

so... i put him to bed and then i get him up after about 2-3 hours...IT'S NOT WORKING!!!!! he cries, and screams and won't sit/stand anything, until i give up and let him back to bed....

last night i tried getting him to pee three times unsuccessfully... only to have him wet his bed last night and then when i tried to change him at 5am (he didn't wake up when he wet the bed!!!) he cried etc, and then wouldn't go back to sleep!!!!

i just tried again and he cried and screamed (he NEVER usually screams!) until i let him go back to bed....

HELP!

jzb
    jzb is offline Registered User

Can't help you - but can assure you I'm having the same problem with my 3.5 year old son. Never an accident in the day - and sometimes he can go 3-4 WEEKS without an accident at night (which means he's totally capable of doing it), and then he'll go through a stage where he'll wet himself every night for the next three weeks.

I've used reward charts etc for all manner of other things but my son tells me that he's just not awake when he wets himself so he doesn't know that he needs a wee, so I'm not sure a reward chart will work.

I'm going to try and do some research into any ideas - will let you know if I find any news - and look forward to hearing any ideas that anybody else has.

capital is offline Banned

My son is 4.5 and night wets, he has been day dry since 2.5. I don't really consider it a problem as it is quite normal for kids, especially boys to wet at night for a long time, even years. I don;t think the reward charts are going to work as they can;t help it and don't even know they are doing it, so no point in being made to feel bad if they are unsucessful. Currently my son wets once every few weeks, especially if extra tired.

My pediatrican was not concerned at all that he wets at night still, and said they don't consider a child to be fully trained until they go 6 months without wetting at all, as they tend to go for a time without wetting, then will wet agian, and go without weetting, etc. Over time he has wet less and less.

I don't wake him up to pee because if he is woken up he is always in such a bad mood, and difficult to go back to sleep, I know he wouldn't cooperate, but I know this works for some people. I have on a waterproof matress protector, and a soaker pad over the sheet, so most of the time I only have to wach the soaker pad unless he had moved off of it. I never change him, or check him at night, he doesn't wake up when he pees, so I don't bother to wake him up either. He changes cloths in the morning.

carang is offline Registered User

well.... i bought lollipops yesterday and told my son that if he peed in the toilet last night he'd get one today...

guess what....

he peed in the toilet. NO FUSS what so ever!!!

so, i've got another lollie for tomorrow if he does it again tonight.

the thing is we are going on a month long holiday at the end of october and renting a motorhome. i don't want him in nappies when we go, nor do i want to get dinged for damages if he pees on the motorhome bed....i might have to suck it up and put him back in nappies, but i'd REALLY rather not.

thanks for all of the advice!!!

i appreaciate the time you took to answer me!

capital is offline Banned

As far as your motorhome goes, we just went camping and I was able to put his waterproof matress pad on the matress in the trailer and also brought the soaker pad, He didn't wet, but we were also only gone for the weekend so I knew we'd be able to do laundry soon if he did.