Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bookstart at Kids' Gallery

happybilly is offline Registered User

Bookstart at Kids' Gallery

Pls kindly share your experience with this course at Kids' gallery, preferably at Kowloon Tong. Is it suitable for under 2 year olds?

Many thanks!

Neha is offline Banned
    we did the one at coda plaza at mid levels and it was a nightmare my son wouldnot sit for so long that i actually left the class earlier. he was then 20 months old

u should ask for a trial class

Thanks, Neha. I'm afraid it will be the same for my baby who is just 20 months.

So you only went to a trial class? Is it only story reading for the full hour?

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    hi happybilly,

our daughter joined Bookstart in Kowloon Tong when she was 18 mths. We had the same problem when she started, she wouldn't sit down at the begining of EACH lesson and started wondering around the classroom or went direct to the table for drawing. She even cried when I forced her to sit down with the other children. Rachael (the teacher), was really nice and said it was normal for LITTLE ones to behalf like that. Things got better after a few weeks and we haven't any problems since.

At the beginning of each classes, the children will sit on the floor with their parent/helper and we would sing and do movements with arms and legs.

Then the teacher will read a story and interact with the children.
    (the teacher will let the children touch the book, use soft toys, hats, make special sounds etc to make the story interesting)

Then depending on the theme, the children will sit on the table and make a craft related to the topic. So the children will have the opportunity to draw, use paint, glue etc. Once they finish, there is time for biscuit & drink (provided by Kids Gallery). If time allows, they will play with toys on inside the classroom. Finally, they will sing the bye bye song, get a sticker and chop on their hand.
    Unfortunately after 2 months, Rachael went on holidays so they cancelled the mon classes and Tue was already full. So it was impossible to re-enrol and we joined Artplay instead.

My daughter is still doing Summer classes in Kowloon Tong and love it.

As mentioned by Neha, you could do a trial class and join the course if you're happy with it otherwise just pay for that lesson.

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed info, Fairy god-mother!

My baby has been attending the Creative Play class so Bookstart seems quite similar, except there is a regular reading session each class? Do you think the class has improved your baby's patience ie. in sitting still and listening?

My baby is very active so I'd like her to be more patience and disciplined.

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    Happybilly,

I totally agree, all classes for children under 2.5yrs are all very similar at Kids Gallery. That's why we top it up with Kindermusik on Monday morning at Kids Gallery.
    My girl is very similar to your baby whom is active and don't like sitting down. That is exactly why I chosen Bookstart since I can't make reading interesting at home.
    Previously, before my daughter attended Bookstarts, she walked away after I started reading for a few minutes (sometimes, haven't even turned the page and already asking me to read another book). Now, she's getting better.
    Also, I must admit her vocab increased since started Bookstart cause while reading Rachael would ask the children to repeat a word/colour/character after her.

Also, Rachael was the one whom teach my daughter "please" & "thank you" during biscult time.

Yes, my baby is exactly like this! She seems to have a max attention span of 30 sec.

This is very promising. Thanks again.

Have you tried any other playgroup apart from KG?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I think you shouldn't rush these things. It is normal for an under 2 year old to not sit still. Why would they? There are so many things for them to look at and explore.

I took my then 20 month old to a similar thing a few times but after the third session I gave up. He kept distracting the other children who were older and I didn't feel it fair that they were paying for a class only to have someone ruin it.

My son is now 2 and a half and for the last 5 or so months absolutely loves reading. he will sit still for ages and just listen to people read and he now pretends to read to us. I'm glad we didn't rush him. I think if we'd forced him into it when we first tried he probably wouldn't love it as much as he does now.

Every child is different and i firmly believe in them dictating timing on things such as this.