Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory


severe back pain... what to do? Who to see?

  1. #1
    ctrbabe1 Guest

    severe back pain... what to do? Who to see?

    Hi all!

    I have had a lot of back pain over the last 12 years. When we were in the US, I went to a chiropractor for several months hoping for relief, but it didn't help at all. He took x-rays, though, and said that I have a mild form of scoliosis and my body is all out of alignment.

    Anyway, over the last several months, I have had problems even standing up straight after sitting or lying down for long periods of time. It takes me a minute to work through the pain. These last 2 weeks I have been in constant pain with that and with sciatic nerve pain.

    I've been stretching, using heating pads, and taking panadol/pain relief, and it's just not helping.

    My hubby says that it would be pointless to see a doctor since they would tell me to do the same things I am already doing. But I just can't live with this pain. I don't know who to see or where to go or what to do. We don't have a lot of money, so expensive treatments are not an option.

    Does anyone have any advice??

  2. #2
    MLBW Guest

    Hi Katie,

    Really sorry to hear about your back pain. I can relate--have had back problems for quite some time and after my son was born I had that sort of pain that you're talking about--the kind that is so bad that you have to slowly breathe and work through it when you're going from a lying to sitting up position or from sitting to standing. At one point I couldn't stand at all and had to crawl around the house on my hands and knees.

    I know a chiropractor as a friend here in HK--from the US--I went to see him. I don't know how your chiro in the US does things but he does things differently than any other chiro I've met. I found out I have a slightly herniated disc in my lower back. With chiropractic care you have to keep up the treatments until you retrain your body to be in alignment so I have to go see him sometimes 3 times a week which is time consuming.

    Once you get to a place where you're in better shape, the only way to really get ahead is to do a physical therapy treatment--or learn how to strengthen the parts of your body in a slow and safe way in order to support the parts that are weak.

    I also recommend acupuncture--if you haven't tried it, Hong Kong is a good place to find a reasonably priced acupuncturist. I know people who never found relief for their chronic pain until they tried Chinese medicine.

    Massage is also super beneficial--in Hong Kong it is possible to find reasonably priced massage therapists of almost every variety. I know that massage has helped me tremendously.

    Those are my suggestions. Again, I am sorry to hear about your agony.

  3. #3
    ctrbabe1 Guest

    Thanks so much for the info. Do you have anyone specifically that you would recommend? And any website or contact info?


  4. #4
    MLBW Guest

    Hi Katie,

    In the chiropractic department, below is the place I go:

    American Chiropractic Centre Ltd

    Tel:2490 5515

    Fortune Mans, Tsuen Wan

    Here is a map:

    If you need directions, I can PM them to you.

    I haven't done acupuncture in Hong Kong--but I did in Mainland China when I lived there. There are many acupuncturists around, though. It might be best to ask for recommendations on specific acupuncturists on this forum.

    For massages, it really depends on what type of massage you'd like. Do you like Thai, Swedish, Chinese style? I've tried a few places and the one I like the best in Hong Kong is called Thai Comfort. The branch I go to is in Yuen Long, though because that's near where live. I have searched for a website for them but all I have is a phone number: Tel:2443 0068.

    I'm not sure what part of Hong Kong that you're in--that may determine where you go for massage. You might request other recommendations on this forum for massage places that are safe, clean and reasonably priced--there are quite a few out there.

    I hope you feel better!

  5. #5
    Balvo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Hong Kong


    Poor you. Sympathise completely as I have been struggling with back pain for years and particularly since getting pregnant (my first).

    I see an osteopath and IMT consultant at Balance Health on Caine Road

    Ben, Alice and Carla are all great although they work in different ways. I started with Carla and she pointed me to different people in the practice as I went along. Someof the therapies are more aletrnative and some are more conventional. I gave everything a shot and have really felt the benefits.

    Good luck !

Similar Threads

  1. Chronic Back Pain
    By Shenzhennifer in forum Family Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM
  2. Rib pain at week 17
    By Gataloca in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 04:59 PM
  3. Severe Reflux Help
    By C-Mommy in forum Baby's Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
  4. Back Pain
    By Shenzhennifer in forum Family Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
  5. 4 mth+ with back pain anyone? A place for Pilates?
    By luciamay in forum Preparing for the Arrival
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Scroll to top