Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby unable to wean to bottle

lii
    lii is offline Registered User

Baby unable to wean to bottle

Hi,

My baby is currently almost 6 months. I am considering starting part-time work and need to be able to provide breast milk to my daughter (who is exclusively breastfed - and just started solids) while at work.

For the past week, I've tried giving her a bottle to no avail. I've:

1. waited until she was starving (but still screaming and refuses to take the bottle)

2. tried to breastfeed and then slip the bottle into her mouth (again with her yelling at me)

3. tried different nipple head types (flatter ones and rounder ones)

She takes the pacifier (when she sleeps) so not sure what that means in terms of perferences.

Any moms have been through this? And advice to give? I've got 2 weeks until my scheduled start date!!

Thanks so much!
    Lisa

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Can you get someone else to try (Dad/helper etc.) - shes far less likely to take the bottle from you.

A friend had this problem and bub simply would not accept it from her (it was a struggle with Dad, but eventually worked).

locomomo is offline Registered User
    Could try using breast shield so they are use to the silicone nipple?

If your baby is feeding solids from a spoon there's a bottle with spoon attached from Eugene club. Can try that.

MLBW Guest
    If your baby is feeding on solids already, I would just go for a sippy cup or try to get her to drink out of a cup.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Agree with the other suggestions. My hunch is that the problem will go away if someone else tries with the bottle AND you are nowhere within sniffing distance! I had to literally leave the flat.
    Good luck!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Fully breastfeed babies are usually very reluctant to accept bottles from their mothers. I agree with the suggestion of asking someone else to try with the bottle while you are out of the home. Suggest to this person that they try to make bottle feeding different from breastfeeding. So rather than holding the baby in a cuddle position try having the baby facing outwards with his back against the caregiver. Or try with the baby propped in a reclining chair and the bottle held so that baby can hold the bottle too. And if this doesn't work forget the bottle and move straight to a cup. Six month old babies are usually very happy to try new things so try to make drinking the milk as new as possible.

Good luck,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

donkey is offline Registered User
    I have the same problem. My son is 8 months 3 weeks old. He used to take the bottle (with breast milk) without hesitation even I am exclusively breastfeeding. But recently he refuses the bottle to a point that he will cry and not drinking at all, after I haven't given him a bottle for 2 weeks. I am confused whether i should still try giving milk to him in a bottle once a day, then water from a cup, or just go straight to cup and ignore the bottle as it may be confusing for bubs with using both bottle and cup. The problem is that he is not very good with the cup yet so he will spill the milk. He also likes to play with it rather than drinking from it so ends up his clothes will be wet. I need to go out from time to time during his last feed before he goes to sleep and now don't know what to use. Help!!

mushi is offline Registered User
    hi donkey, have u checked which 'age-appropriate' nipple are u using for yr bottle? maybe the milk does not come out quick enouggh for an 8 month old..so u neeed to replace the teat. mine had a same trouble with bottle thought after persistence they eventually give in and take the bottle....i think a sippy cup is too soon for a 6 or even an 8 month old....they will spill too much and end up having half of what they used to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast