Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Prevenar & Rotarix

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Prevenar & Rotarix

Hi All - My 4 month old went in for his vaccinations a few days ago and our doctor (a new one - NOT the same one who did his 2 month shots) suggested that we not give him the Prevenar and Rotarix shots for prevention of pneumococcal conjugate and rotavirus respectively. This was the first experience I'd had with a doctor who actually said he didn't think it was necessary - he is from the UK and apparently those 2 vaccinations are not required in the UK, though I know they are in the US/Canada where my husband and I are from. He sounded a few alarm bells in my mind by saying that he felt over-dosing your baby with toxins from vaccinations that are not necessary could lead to later neurological damage and autism. He said it it were his own child or grandchild, he would NOT administer the shot and urged that I go back and do some research before making a decision. Our first PD gave our baby these 2 vaccinations without even blinking or raising it to us as any kind of issue.

Have any of you heard of either Prevenar or Rotarix as being potentially harmful to your baby? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Neha is offline Banned
    there are many people who believe that vaccinations are one of the causes for autism. Not proven yet . We didnt get our son Rotarix neither did our Dr suggest it. We are giving our kid the minimum required by HK standards no extra vaccinations

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    Thanks Neha - but did you give your baby the Prevenar? Neither Prevenar nor Rotarix are required in HK.

Neha is offline Banned
    no we didnt

rebekah is offline Registered User
    we gave both but i was very hesitant with the rotarix. the OLD rotavirus vaccine was linked to intusucception, but the new one has had no higher RATE of this, however, it does have earlier onset in the study group. basically, if it is likely to happen to your child, the onset could possibly be sooner if given this. It is always a good idea to make your own decision on vaccinations, i am sure you can see all the threads on it. That said i *personally* think that vaccination is important and would never skip on at least the required ones. You have to decide for yourself...

JoTs is offline Registered User
    By the way, Prevenar is now on the UK schedule... they introduced it in 2006.

Portia is offline Registered User
    I chose to give my LO the Prevenar vaccine which is on the immunisation schedule in many countries like Canada and UK but not the Rotarix vaccine which was new.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Prevenar and Rotarix are now both on the schedule in Australia (Rotarix was added earlier this year).