Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

flying w/o a car seat

miaka is offline Registered User
    MLBW and Sleuth, thank you both for sharing your thoughts, they both are very helpful. I originally thought of buying a carseat bc it would be safer than without one. but i also have to consider my toddler's personality ... very active and my own peace of mind ... over worried mom. I think sleuth's suggestion is a good compromise and alternative, but i also need to relax and not get so over protective bc it is also safe to use what the airline provides. thanx again!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBW View Post
    Well...in that case one should also not go on a bus or train in HK without a car seat. I think a plane is pretty fine.
    Can't argue with that. I think the whole car seat thing is overblown anyway. You just don't want your kid, or a kid you know, to be the accident so you use the car seat.
    But, if you are worried about safety and don't want the car seat, the seat belt off that website is better than the one the airlines provide.

Portia is offline Registered User
    One thing about the car seat - if you are flying on CX on planes with the new seats, the car seat will not fit. The new seats have an airbag attached to the seat belt which is too big to fit the car seat as you have to thread the seat belt through the car seat. Nobody from CX told us this before we boarded the plane earlier this month so we lugged our car seat to the plane for nothing when we could have checked it in!

With the CARES flight harness, I emailed the company about two months ago to find out if they would fit the new CX economy seats (fixed shell seats), but they never replied to me. This seems to be a good option if it works.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    One thing about the car seat - if you are flying on CX on planes with the new seats, the car seat will not fit. The new seats have an airbag attached to the seat belt which is too big to fit the car seat as you have to thread the seat belt through the car seat. Nobody from CX told us this before we boarded the plane earlier this month so we lugged our car seat to the plane for nothing when we could have checked it in!

With the CARES flight harness, I emailed the company about two months ago to find out if they would fit the new CX economy seats (fixed shell seats), but they never replied to me. This seems to be a good option if it works.
    We should have our flight harness soon, so we'll see.

Couldn't you use a seat belt extender on the new CX seats?

carang is offline Registered User
    i took my, then 2 year old, and my, then, 5 week old to canada BY MYSELF (36 hours door-to-door) last year. there was no way i could have handled a car seat. i had no problem with my 2 year old. he was EXCEPTIONALLY well behaved. the flight departed hk at 8am, so i had A LOT of entertaining to do. the tvs in the backs of the seats were a god-send!

it really all depends on the child. my son was awesome without a car seat, but when we go to australia this coming october, my daughter will be a nightmare without it. we didn't pay for a seat for her, so we don't have the option of taking a car seat for her.

good luck!

Portia is offline Registered User
    Sleuth - I don't think the seat belt extender will work with the car seat in the new CX seat. Although you might be able to thread the seat belt extender through the car seat, you wouldn't be able to tighten the seat belt enough to hold the car seat firmly against the plane seat, at least not with my car seat.

Please do let me know how the CARES flight harness works out for you as it looks like a really good option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12