Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mtr

Smiles is offline Registered User

I think you will find that no matter where you are in the world you will always have people who will offer their seat and those who don't. I think blaming all chinese is a bit harsh....but maybe I've just been fortunate to have both chinese men and women (and a few teenage boys!)offer their seats to me...mind you I do my best to look pathetic and in need of one!

On the London Underground you'll still see business men buried in their newspaper while someone who really needs the seat is standing. My mum who is in her 60's (sorry mum!) finds that she is usually the one offering her seat instead of a much younger person.

As Nicole said, when I was a child you were expected to give up your seat...

Last edited by Smiles; 08-21-2008 at 07:21 PM.

geomum is offline Registered User

I am not blaming "all Chinese" but majority. I agree all sorts of people exist everywhere and I have been offered help when I asked for it in dire circumstances by some Chinese people as well

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

From experience the only people who help me lift a push chair up and down stairs are tourists or women- and usually women who say 'oh I have a baby at home so know what it's like.'

I've lived in HK since I was 11 and so have little experience of other big cities- is it like this in other big cities? i.e. impossible to get around with a push chair, impossible to get a seat on the bus or train even when carrying a baby or toddler?

I have been heavily pregnant, or carrying my toddler on the buses in DB and never been offered a seat. Recently was on the bus with a friend, I managed to get a seat for my toddler but she had to carry hers for the while 15 minute bus ride (not only uncomfortable but very dangerous); when she challenged the guy sitting in the seat she was standing next to he ignored her and then when the bus stopped pushed past her, so she had to grab on to something, to get off the bus!

Having lived in HK for a long time I have to agree there is a lack of basic manners and courtesy here- countless times I have had doors in shopping centres closed on my push chair or on my toddler; countless times I have struggled with a push chair down a flight of stairs.
    But maybe this is part and parcel of living in a big city????

capital is offline Banned

I don't think all cities are like this. Of course the fact that hong kong is so hilly doesn't help, but honestly other countries make things so much easier by having lower areas on side walks to make it easier to cross the street, most stores and malls will have a button to push to open the door for you, or an automatic door elevators in more accessible areas. Most of these things are meant for wheel chairs, but also used by everyone with a stroller. it is all in the desgin, for example why do grocery stores in hong kong, or at least the ones I've beeen to, have all these metal bars in front of the door that have you to lift off to get a stroller through, and then have turnstiles? Why? it makes no sense whatsoever. Why so few elevators and hard to find? I can't imagine how someone in a wheel chair gets around.

Speculator is offline Registered User

I'm Cantonese with ROA in HK but born and bought up in Hertford, England. My wife is a Hong Konger and our first child was born in Hong Kong last march.

In England, people most of the time will give up their seat if they see a pregnant woman. They will also help you carry your bag/pushchair up/down stairs if they see you're having difficulty, I certainly would. However, when my wife was pregnant in HK, not once did someone give up their seat for her on the MTR even though she was quite obviously heavily pregnant. We travelled on the MTR quite frequently because it's very clean and spacious compared to our dreadful "tube" network in the UK. Just a shame Chinese Hong Kongers are so selfish in not giving up their seats to the old and pregnant.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I think it's ridiculous how NO WHERE in Hong Kong has automatic doors, just about!! Most of the malls have those REALLY HEAVY doors. Sometimes I see old people really struggling just to get inside because the doors are so heavy!! I know that's slightly off topic - but generally EVERY mall in Australia will have an automatic door entrance at EVERY entrance!!

PregnantHK is offline Registered User

I've lived in Hong Kong for 3 months and one of my early observations is that there is a distinct "every man for himself" attitude. It seems that manners, kindness and consideration rarely come in to play...if you're pregnant or with a small child on the MTR and don't manage to get a seat then it's considered your own fault for not being quick enough! It's not an attractive attitude and makes me feel sad and disappointed (especially when I see young and fit people glued to their seats). There are many busy and stressful cities in this world where fellow residents are quite happy to hold open doors and give up their seats to those in need so why is Hong Kong so different?

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PregnantHK View Post
    I've lived in Hong Kong for 3 months and one of my early observations is that there is a distinct "every man for himself" attitude. It seems that manners, kindness and consideration rarely come in to play...if you're pregnant or with a small child on the MTR and don't manage to get a seat then it's considered your own fault for not being quick enough! It's not an attractive attitude and makes me feel sad and disappointed (especially when I see young and fit people glued to their seats). There are many busy and stressful cities in this world where fellow residents are quite happy to hold open doors and give up their seats to those in need so why is Hong Kong so different?
    Hi PregnantHK,

Thanks for articulating what I'm thinking. It is sad. I don't think it's fair to say "Oh, it's just HK and it's just like every other big city" because that is simply not true. I've experienced more simple courtesy extended to me in Mainland Chinese cities that don't have a good record with hygiene even (spitting, throwing trash everywhere). No, I don't think there is a good excuse for just not caring about anyone but yourself and that attitude is prevalent in this city.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Scroll to top