Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper taking loans

syuan is offline Registered User

Helper taking loans

I just searched through some threads regarding helpers taking loans, so I can see that quite a few of us have had problems with that! I'm just wondering if anyone gave the loan chasers any other details that you may have had on hand about your helper (i.e. phone numbers of relatives or friends, phone number or address in Philippines, etc.)?

Yesterday, there was a letter in our mailbox from a finance company saying that our ex-helper had taken out a personal loan, and that she has an overdue installment (which is more than half of her monthly salary!). I'm not sure if she took out the loan and skipped town on purpose, or I'm hoping that maybe she just didn't get a chance to pay it yet, and might take care of it later on. In any case, I think it's in our best interest to be prepared.

What I've concluded from reading everyone's posts is that if I receive threatening or annoying phone calls or letters, that the most effective means is to call the police. And I'm totally prepared to do that, should things progress in that way.

In the meantime, is it enough to reject the letters by sending them back with "No such person, please return to sender"? Do I need to forward a copy of these letters to the Consulate General of the Philippines or the Foreign Domestic Helpers Section of the Immigration Department? It seems to me that they should know about this information, in case another unknowing employer is trying to employ her?

Thanks in advance for any input!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    I do not know the legal ramifications but think about what would happen if your office of employment was sent mail to the office after you had left. They would do one of two things. Firstly, forward the letter on to you to deal with; or Secondly, throw it in the bin.

I do not think that you are liable for someone else's loan so I do not think it has anything to do with you now that she is not employed with you.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    Personally, I would contact the loan company directly to let them know that this person does not live/work for you anymore. Hopefully that would keep any harassment from them towards you or your household to a minimum.

And if the finance company tries to contact you in any way (phone calls, letters etc) again after you have told them that the helper does not reside there anymore, I would go immediately to the police.