Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Getting around HK with a stroller

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Neha View Post
    www.prampushers.com gives u alot of information about pram friendly exits on MTR and roads
    I can't find anything there. Can u provide a deep link?
    I di find this, though with a link to the MTR's website which is, presumably, update:

http://www.**************.com/notes/..._Vs_Carrier%3F

"MTR stations do, theoretically have lifts or ramps. See their guide. However, trying to find the way is often a challenge. If and when you do, you'll have to fight armies of able-bodied passengers too lazy to use the escalators.

Some carriages on the MTR have an area for wheelchairs and/or buggies. Look for the signs on the platform screen doors. They are placed to put you nearest the lifts."

swedishmum is offline Registered User
    oh no it seems that getting around HK will be challenging. Yes I from Sweden and here you would never dream of getting into a car with your child without a carseat, but I guess Ill have to although I dont want to.
    We wont have a car in HK and I just hope that it wont be so difficult or scary getting around that we will be stuck in the aparmentcomplex most days.

Im used to getting around so easily (we have a car and the city and transportation is super kidsfriendly (stockholm)) oh well suppose that will be part of the living-abroad-experience.

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    HK is horrible to get around in a stroller. We moved from NYC (which is not that great either) then from London to here. London was amazing - you can roll the pram right onto the bus and into taxis. Central HK has lots of levels AND stairs. The sidewalks are crowded and not that wide. I dread taking my son in the pram into town from the southside. We have the Maclaren Techno which I thought was pretty travel friendly compared to the Bugaboo, but now I think I have to get an umbrella one that's light, narrow and easy to fold up.

Neha is offline Banned
    Kashismum: U need to order the guide from their website and some bookstores also carry them.

swedishmum is offline Registered User
    ohh no...this doesnt sound good at all..
    i sold my bugaboo cameleon and bought a bugaboo bee as I thought it would be more HK friendly. I dont want it to be a big problem just getting from point A to point B :(

So do you all have cars? My husband told me that most expats dont have cars in HK as it is soooo easy to get around town anyway. Or do you try to spend most of your time in your imidiate surroundings? Maybe this is why I need a domestic helper I wasnt planning on getting one.

Now Im dreading moving to HK!!!

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Don't worry! The Bee is great for getting around town with. Yes we have a car, and it's very handy for trips to the New Territories or to beaches with baby. The good things about HK are (i) iit's easy to find reasonably priced second hand cars (ii) domestic help is relatively inexpensive and there are lots of good helpers out there (iii) there are nice beaches....and once you get to know some people, you'll get the hang of things! :-)

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Oh...and public transport is not THAT bad. More inconvenient than in Sweden, probably, but you sort of manage....Local people really like babies. I find people much nicer to me when I'm out with baby than, say, if I'm out with my dog! (or on my own!) Go figure....

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i is good to be a bit prepared for what you are in for when you get here. I have been surprised by just how difficult it can be getting around with children. Life in London was MUCH easier in that respect.
    I find that here in HK i actually do need a helper and even WITH help here, life in London was easier for us for day to day things. I didn't have a car in London and never felt that I needed one.
    We live on the southside so we have a car and use it a lot.
    If i were to live in Midlevels I would probably still have a car just because of the kids.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast