Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what do you do with your 1year old during the day?

swedishmum is offline Registered User

Smile what do you do with your 1year old during the day?

As the title askes "What do you do with your 1 year old during the day?

What is your typical day like (stay at home mums)?
    Do you and your baby have any special favourite activities?

MLBW Guest

Well, my son isn't a year old yet. A lot of what we during the day is determined by the weather. In the summer it is usually ghastly hot or nasty and rainy (at least it was this past summer).

If the weather permits, my son likes to go out in his stroller. In Hong Kong there is usually a lot to see--almost to the point of over-stimulation for a baby. Lots of lights, sounds, people, smells. When going out pack sunscreen, mosquito repellent, lots of water, snacks and everything you might need.

If you have room for an inflatable swimming pool (or you live in a nice place with a pool) swimming or sitting and play in, I know my son loves to splash around in the water--and with the heat in Hong Kong water is a good idea usually.

Hmmm....I know that a lot of people get their babies involved in classes--language classes, yoga classes, playgroups with a special focus. I think that these things can be a good idea for babies but I am torn as I think that some parents are just trying to make their kids into "mini geniuses" and there tends to be a lot of pressure on kids to be smart and perfect here in Hong Kong and I don't want my child exposed to that too early. Nonetheless I'm sure there are some wonderful schools and groups out there that provide an outlet for babies and mamas.

We just started a forum/group for young moms in their 20-30s who have young babies. You're welcome to join this group that plans to get together and have some activities. There are other playgroups centered around different interests and residential areas in Hong Kong that may interest you as well.

Also, Hong Kong has several beaches that are pretty accessible if your child likes to play in the sand and such. There is Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park, two theme parks that may have things that are interesting for your child and you.

I personally don't get the chance to get out and do much with my son but he enjoys playing at home with his toys and going out for strolls. Those simple things keep him occupied.

LeahH is offline Registered User

My bub is 1 year and typically has two outings a day, one in the morning before lunch and one in the late afternoon after her nap.

It might be to the swimming pool in our building (there are also public pools or private clubs with swimming facilites), a walk in the stroller to the playground (doesn't actually play on the equipment much, but it's a nice walk and she can see other kids there), the botanical gardens, the zoo or if the weather is bad, one of the indoor playrooms such as WiseKids in Cyberport. Beaches are great too but I usually only attempt that on the weekend with my husband (she constantly tries to eat the sand...). There are some great pram friendly walks in HK such as round the top of the peak.

She goes to classes once or twice a week, fun ones with the emphasis on movement, free play and some very cool equipment like animal shaped swings etc. She's going to start a music based class soon also, again just a fun one for babies up to 1.5yrs to mix it up a bit. There are also formal playgroups you can join to meet other mums with similar age children.

She also has playdates with friends once or twice a week, either at our house or theirs.

Or I might meet friends in one of the central malls for coffee/lunch - some have areas that are ok for small children.

My objective is really to get her out of the apartment. I've found now she is walking she needs a lot of stimulus and physical activity. We have a fairly small flat and I can see how bored she gets if she's indoors all day.

carang is offline Registered User

i run a playgroup and have done so in the past as well... both of my kids have accompanied me. i don't try to turn out little geniuses, however, i have some parents that want to do just that. i try to focus on playing, arts & crafts, music and stories. it is amazing the difference in social abilities of kids that attend the classes regularly and those that don't.

now, don't get me wrong, by no means do i mean that other children are socially inept or will be or that mine will be better off in their lives having attencded my classes! what i mean is that my younger one (only 18 months) LOVES to play WITH other kids. not parallel play, but actual playing and interacting with them. i bring them because they LOVE to come. if they didn't enjoy the classes, i wouldn't have a job.

if you can find a GOOD playgroup that has the same philosophy as you have, then you might really enjoy it and be able to get some ideas of what you can do with your little one on your own.

the other thing is that a GOOD playgroup should have toys etc that you might not have in your own home. it gives the children variety.

swedishmum is offline Registered User

hi
    my son loves to play with other kids and he needs a lot of physical activities.

Here (Stockholm) we usually get out two times a day, before lunch we usually go to the playground so that he can play with the other kids then home for lunch and a nap then we take a walk or go shopping (more of a mummyactivity) or meet up with friends. That works for us right now.

I think that adding swimming and going to the beach aswell as different playrooms and plagroups would be things my son and I would enjoy. Hope that I can find some fun playgroups for him. Do you have any tips?

Neha is offline Banned

Playgroups depends where u will be staying in Hong Kong. U can find a list of playgroups in the directory

monte is offline Registered User

group for young moms?

[QUOTE=MLBW;878106]
    We just started a forum/group for young moms in their 20-30s who have young babies. You're welcome to join this group that plans to get together and have some activities. There are other playgroups centered around different interests and residential areas in Hong Kong that may interest you as well.

I would like to join this group--I have a 6-month old, am new to hong kong, and would love to meet other moms and babies. We live in North Point, but can travel. My son LOVES getting out!

sprawld is offline Banned

hi there I would like to join the playgroup as well. I have a 6 month old as well and trying to find activities for the little one. Currently we bring him to the playgroud on a daily basis but would love to bring him out more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top