Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Australian standard of car seats

Neha is offline Banned

Australian standard of car seats

Hi

We are planning to take our son to Australia for a holiday in Feb next year . He will be 27 months old. I was wondering if the car seats are compulsory in Taxis in Australia? If so then where can we buy one in Hong Kong which meets australian standard as we will there for about 2 weeks.

If not available in HK, Can u suggest any website/stores in Australia that we can buy and get my husbands customers to pick it for us

Thanks /neha

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    A lot of taxis carry car seats. You can also call for a taxi and request a car seat in the taxi when you call.

There seems to be no point in buying a car seat just for 2 weeks, in my opinion.

I did read the other day about a place where you can rent car seats from - Kids Rentals +61 414 894 666 - I need to call them also because we're going back over Christmas time. I have no idea of their prices or anything, I just found their number online.

I know there are other rental places where you can rent a car seat but I don't know their details...

I'm sure that renting one will be cheaper than buying one - and unless you're going to be in Australia a LOT, it may not be worth it to buy one...

Matty is offline Registered User
    Unfortunatley you can't buy a carseat for taxis that meets Australian standards, as carseats in Oz need to be attached to a hardpoint.
    So the seatbelt only type aren't legal.
    I do know a friend who managed to get taxis to accept her with her maxi cosi sometimes, but many refused.

It's actually very easy to book taxis with carseats, so for a 2 week trip it's probably not worth it.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Neha
    I have just got back from a trip to Australia with my 21 month old. We found that a lot of the taxis waiting at taxi stands did not have car seats and would ask us to find another taxi when they learned he was less than 2 years. You will probably have to book to get a taxi with a car seat.

We brought our own car seat to use on the plane and in the rental car. Our car seat doesn't meet Australian requirements as it does not have an Aus standards label, but as far as I can understand my car seat did meet their other requirements as it uses the LATCH system (called something else in the EU - Isofix?) and has a top tether. The LATCH system attaches to a fixed point which Matty mentioned.

Neha is offline Banned
    thanks ladies

tstmum is offline Registered User
    We usually rent a car and get car seats through the rental company. When we looked two years ago, none of the car seats available in HK met Australian standards. As mentioned above, you can rent car seats (which we've also done before) so you can use in taxis. Travel in taxis without a car seat is illegal. Maybe you could book a car service (with car seats) from the airport to your hotel when you arrive, and then rent car seats by themselves for use in taxis for the rest of your trip. (Btw, taxis in Australia are not cheap like in HK, and public transport not always as efficient and frequent. Have you considered renting a car instead?)

Neha is offline Banned
    We plan to rent a car in Brisbane - Gold Coast part of the trip. We thought in Sydney we could use public transport etc.What about parking in Sydney? Expensive?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    There are places you can park for free - but it's just knowing where to park that is the problem... In the city, parking is expensive - but we always parked at this one place with a good yum cha restaurant, and if you spent over a certain amount of money (which we always did), you can park there for free for the whole day, I think (I've been in Hong Kong for 2 years now so I don't know if they still do that)...

There are SOME places in the city that you can park for pretty cheap - particularly around China town...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast