Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

First Finger Foods

NYCMel is offline Registered User

First Finger Foods

My 8 month year old son has his first tooth and has two more coming on the top. I was reading about finger foods to give him now like whole wheat bread, reice cakes, half a pea, bananas etc..foods that can be mushed up with their gums and then swallowed.

Anyone have any advice on this or on specific foods that have worked well in transitioning them to more solid foods?

I am bit scared to start giving him these foods for some reason. Is it too early?

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I don't think it's too early but my children were all fast, on baby food at 4 months, on regular solids / pieces at 6 months and at 9 months off jar food.

The food I like most for starting are the Gerber puffs and/or Cheerios (but puffs are even easier) and pieces of toasted wheat bread. Peas are nice, banana is nice, tofu can be very easy (and healthy), pieces of omelette, soft boiled veggies and pasta ...

NYCMel is offline Registered User

thanks for the tips! they won't choke on the cheerios?

mumto2 is offline Registered User

they tend to learn really quick and have wonderful gag reflexes...they do this cool little suck on food, in their mouths, to make things all mushy and then swallow it...or is that just my kids? lol...don't panic if he looks like his choking, remember what you gave him, give him reassurance that he's ok and let him try to cough it up before you do anything else. toast is great, little pieces of banana is good but a bit slippery for their hands because they tend to want to enclose their whole fist around whatever it is right at the start so "finger" size pieces seemed to work best at the beginning for mine...soft sticks of carrot, handfuls of cornflakes shoved in..lol...

fhurley is offline Registered User

Have you read Annabel Karmels Baby and Toddler Meal Planner ? Some excellent ideas in there for first foods including finger foods.

fennho is offline Registered User

i am also interested in giving my gal some finger foods to train her to chew and holding. I'm feeding her porridge and some other purees, but i'm not entirely sure she knows how to chew and hold things now. I gave her cut apples into the gerber sassy net, but she always end up biting the other end instead of the apple inside the net. Or she would jus suck instead of chewing the apple. Am i doing it rite? I gave her some teething rusks and she doesnt even seem to know how to hold it. :(

Neha is offline Banned

Fenho : How old is your daughter. She might be too young to chew, but u must give her some things to bite there might be wastage but that is the only way she will learn to bite and chew. Our Ds was very against giving pureed food to our son once he got his teeth as they become very used to the pureed food and then dont want to chew. We know someone whose 16 months old child had only pureed food and he would refuse to eat normal food.

Best of luck

fennho is offline Registered User

hi neha
    my gal will be 8mths next week. The porridge I'm giving her is not runny anymore but I don't see her chewing (only a bit). I'm not sure if she just eats it and wait for the melting in her mouth and then swallow! Wat can I give her to train her to chew? I fed myself food and chew in an exaggerated manner in an attempt to get her to imitate me but she jus grins at me! When I give her jus slightly mashed carrots, she'd either gag or pushed out the thicker pieces with her tongue! I'm worried she'll choke and if she's ready. Can I give her minced meat?