Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice for Premature Baby

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Advice for Premature Baby

Hello,
    I recently had my baby early 35 weeks and was wondering what kind of behavior is typical for a premature baby? She was in an incubator, given glucose and antibiotics for two days. After two days, she was given formula via syring and her health improved dramatically. We brought her home when I was discharged and she has a little jaundance. It's been four days and we noticed that she sleeps a lot. We are also bottle feeding her formula and some breast milk (I am having problems with the baby latching) and have noticed that she gets hiccups quit often. She also varies with what she consumes and it doesn't seem like she gets enough. This is both my husband and I first child and we are not sure what to expect. Is sleeping most of the day/night typical? Is it normal for her not to eat too much? When should we be worried about her behavior? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

adahc is offline Registered User
    My son was born prematurly at 36 weeks, had the same experience with you ie. in the incubator, jaundice etc. BUT do NOT worry. The most important advice which I found hard to follow at first but gradually find it useful is for you to relax. Babies can detect it if you are worried or panic. For her if you are anxious, she will feel that she should be anxious too and then he will become nervous ie. fussy, not easy to setle etc. You are her world remember? I remember during my sn'd first couple of months, only my husband can calm him down when he cried as I was too panic and he got the vibe so he cried even harder.
    My son slept pretty much all day and night during his first month.
    Babies doesn't know day time and night time yet so draw the curtain at night and keep a calm atmosphere. So she will learn to recognise the time of the day by the activities, sound level that you create, the amount of light that coming into the room.

My son got hiccups often too but that's really ok. My son also has reflux which is normal for babies who has an emergency c-section or traumatic birth. That makes me worried sick but he did not get any treatment at all and it gradually goes away at 8 months (I know it's a long time to wait but we learn to live with it and it becomes so normal).

Please do try on breastfeed. I had so many problems at first but I set my mind up that I will breastfeed him no matter what, after a lot of tears and attempt he did it. We had to try so many position before my son and I get into the swing of it. Has anyone take time to teach you and sit ith you through this breastfeeding position? If not, do contact your mid wife or someone at LLL. I think her name is Sarah, she is on this site too. PM her as i think she does home visit. It will be so convenient for you to breastfeed. It worths it in the long run.And it surely is the BEST thing you can give to your baby.

You can breastfeed everywhere, on the plane to calm her down or when you go out and about, you only need to bring 'you' to feed him.

Try to feed her for longer, try to keep her sucking and not fall asleep while feeding by tickle her cheeks, she will keep going. I fed on demand but normally it should be something like 2-3 hours between feed before she cries for feed. It's not a rule but if you keep it like this, she wont be feeding like snacking ie. only take a little but often. Put her on your breast or on bottle (but PLEASE try harder on breast) for a longer period of time and tickle away, wake her up if she falls asleep while feeding.

Oh I also find that at first, if I squeezed my nipples so its flat, he can latch on easier. But try not to use bottle because it is an easy option to use bottle and the baby will become 'lazy' to suck from your breast if she knows that in a minute you will give her an easier easy flow bottle.

Remember, the more sleep, the better for the baby at your baby's age. I don't think I saw my son open his eye very often at all during his first month. It seems like he slept continuously.

Oh god trust me you will miss these days especially when your son is 8 months old and still not sleeping through the night AND demand you to be up and comfort him!!!!

PM me if you have any question or need a second opinion, I'll try to help.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I have had experience with a premature baby delivered at 36 weeks. However his course was no different from that of a normal newborn in that they all sleep a good deal when they are first born for the first two months or so. The way to gauge if they are feeding well enough is by the number of wet nappies your baby is producing, the rough guide given to me by paediatricians is 5-6 wet nappies a day. With regards to stools, a breatsfed baby may at times not open their bowels for up to 10 days, or in the other spectrum have extremely loose stools, so generally you don't worry too much about the stools unless they are passing a constipated stool which suggests hydration/colonic problems.
    Hope this helps. Being first time parents without the added worry of prematurity is already confusing enough! I feel for you.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    both my sons were premature, one at 33 weeks and the other at 30 weeks. Sleeping a lot is quite normal for premmies because that is what they would be doing whilst still in the womb, in no time your baby will be up and crying ;) babies need anywhere between 18-20 hours of sleep everyday so really the time spent awake in the first month or so is very little. Not to worry

Both my babies were drinking around 40-60ml breastmilk every 2-3hrs. We chose to feed on demand instead of on a schedule so the quantity and timing of feeds changed depending on the day.

Hiccups-both boys had them - if i recall correctly, both had hiccups while they were in my belly so when they came out and the nurses commented, my response was "oh he's been doing that all along!" lol

good luck!!

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the advice, I feel better already. The support from this forum has saved me from losing my mind! I truely appreciate the advice.