Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travelling with babies

nic-mom is offline Registered User

Travelling with babies

I am planning to bring my 10 month baby to Toronto during the Christmas. Any practial tips for long flights with babies? Is there anything I should be aware of? Can other mothers/fathers share their experience?

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    i think there are a bunch of threads about traveling with babies b/c i've posted before about it. i traveled with my son when he was 4 months from London to NYC and back. Then at 6 months from NYC to HK. Here is my advice:

Bring 2 changes of clothing
    2-3 blankets
    their favorite toys
    travel dvd player + favorite dvds (rechargeable battery?)
    soothers if your baby takes them
    finger foods etc...enough for flight and pre-flight in case of delays
    enough diapers in case of accidents

10 month year olds should begin walking and unfortunately, as they get older traveling gets harder b/c they never sit still. some say to begin getting them used to the time difference like a week before leaving, but i personally have never found that to be helpful for us.

thanks for the reply. you r quite an experienced traveller!!
    my son is quite active, so he might be very difficult to control on the plane.
    i m breastfeeding now, so i m hoping that he won't wean himself before then. i heard that it's better to bf during take off and landing, is it true?
    i still need to contact the flight carrier about the details.

also, i know that canada is extremely dry. any suggestion on super moisturizing lotion for my little one?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    If you want to take fresh food, avocados and bananas are good as they are whole and can be mashed as you need them on the plane.

Definitely BF on the way up and down to stop his ears hurting.

If it's a night flight, be aware that they will take 1-2 hours to feed all the passengers before turning the main lights out. AT his age it's hard for a baby to sleep with all that activity so don't plan on him dropping off just because it's his usual bedtime.

If it's you and your husband travelling, ask the staff to feed one of you first so you can take turns looking after the baby while one eats.

The staff will be as helpful as they can be, it's in their interest to keep the passengers happy (which means keeping you and your baby as comfortable as possible..)

Turbulence: If the baby's in your own flight approved car seat it's no problem. If he's in one of the airline's baby seats for older children that fits onto the bassinette table (BA have this, not sure if others do also) they will tell you to remove the baby asap, put him in your lap and attach the special seat belt - same if he's lying down across a few seats. They HAVE to tell you to do this. But, they will usually only tell you once - then not return to push the issue. Again, it's in their interest to let the baby sleep. However, if the turbulence is really bad they might well come back, of course you might decide that you feel it's safer to move him anyway.

If he cries, try to focus on the baby and NOT what people around you are thinking. It's envitable, those with children will totally understand and as for those without - well one day it will be them in your position and they can always put the earphones on!

Lastly, if you are really worried or feel you need a back up plan, you can ask the doctor for something that will aid sleep (like a mild antihistamine). Phenergan is something they often prescribe but you MUST try it at home first as for some babies it has the opposite effect and they get hyperactive!
    Sadly, we've tried it all and my bub is totally immune to all of it...

On the jet lag front, fresh air / natural light / time outside are the best things to aclimatise to the new time and esp when coming back to HK.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I second all of what NYCMel wrote! In our trip to Canada this summer with our 15-month old, finger foods came in VERY handy! We had grapes, blueberries, Cheerios, sliced apples...

Definitely b'feed during take-off and landing if you are still b'feeding then; if not, give him something to drink/eat or even a soother then. The 'swallowing' helps with the ears popping. (BTW, try to hold off weaning him until after you come back, if you can. It's so convenient NOT to have to carry bottles with you and worry about water to mix formula with, how to clean the bottles, etc. while on the plane!)

For dry skin, you can easily get Aveeno Baby moisturizing products in Canada.

If you are flying CX, do let them know ahead of time that you might be needing diapers and let them know what size (although still bring your own, just in case). Ask also if they can block off a seat next to you so that you'll have extra space, although planes during Xmas time are usually full, so I don't know if they can do this. Won't hurt to ask, though.

Good luck!

carang is offline Registered User
    don't know if the other mothers suggested this as i haven't had time to read through all of hte responses (sorry)....

but don't forget a change of clothes for you, unless you want to have spit up, puke, pee or poop on you for an entire flight!

Thanks for all the helpful hints.
    I'll make sure I bring lots of finger foods. I am so happy to know one more advantage of breastfeeding..haha!!

Anyway, I didn't know the airline can prepare diapers for you. It'll be helpful because it means one less thing to bring on the flight. I'll be flying Air Canada. I'll ask if they have this service =)

As for the medications..I guess I'll use that as my last resort, if I really can't control my baby. I hope all goes smoothly.

Once I got the tickets, I'll call the flight carrier and see what they can do for me.

Aveeno.. Can I get that in HK? Is it expensive?

mrstee is offline Registered User
    You can get Aveeno in Hong Kong from HealthQuest in Happy Valley or at the HQ counter at City Super in Times Square. It isn't cheap here though, and it is pretty cheap in the States or Canada. But with all the weight restrictions on baggage now, you may need to pick and choose what you think is worth bringing back! Lotions and liquid soaps get heavy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast