Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Princess Margaret Hospital? Anybody given birth there?

Bron13 is offline Registered User

Princess Margaret Hospital? Anybody given birth there?

Hi Just wondering if anybody has given birth at Princess Margaret Hospital?

I have looked through the forum listings but all seem to be for POW or QM. I am now 25 weeks pregnant and trying to organise a public hopsital having been told by POW that as I live in Tsing Yi I must go to PM.

I did speak to somebody about it who said if possible go to QM or POW so am totally confused about what to do. I spoke to a OBY today who also said the hospital will need proof of address for the hospital.

Anybody know what means proof of address does it need to be a a gas bill or lease or just a letter from a friend?
    I do have some friends addresses in Kowloon City which would get me into QE so that would be the other option.

Thanks! Any help would be great.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Hi Bron, I only know one person who gave birth at PMH, and she was really happy with them, she is Canadian. That's just one person though!

My personal choice would have definitely been QM or POW but like yourself am stuck with the geographical location thing. For proof of address, yes it's just some mail that has your name and address on it and normally it would have to be official looking, but who knows, maybe they aren't that strict and would accept a personal letter. I had my employer write a proof of address statement because I didn't have any bills or things in my married name and it was all too complicated to explain it to the bureaucracy!

I have heard people say they would do the dodgy false address thing, but not sure how that would work. I guess if you're willing to do that, then you're possibly willing to have the friend make up a fake letterhead and write a fake letter to that address to get you in!

Consider though that it will mean travelling a lot further for your appointments which can be a pain towards the end when you're going every fortnight/week heavily pregnant.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I have a second hand story. A german friend of mine was booked into the Matilda, but the baby came too soon and she had to take an ambulance to PMH. She said it was adequate but the food was so repulsive she left after one day. She said there was no breastfeeding support and the care was professional but mechanical.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    I gave birth there and love everything there. Not sure about others regarding Breast feeding but every nurse was very supportive. Food?? yes, not good at all because it is Chinese cooking but your family can bring you some when they visit you. And for a hundred a day what more can you ask? if not C section, why stay more than day? For me to pay total of $600 for 5 nights and C section, i have no complain at ALL.

Cheers!

Bron13 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies ladies.
    Ms Cheerful can you tell me what happened to hubby at PM. Is the usual story of HK where there is several women in the prelabour ward and then hubby can join you after when you are in active labour? How many women were in your prelabour ward? Were the staff open to a birth plan and supportive of your feelings?
    Did you have a delivery room to yourself? What was it like.

Sorry about all the questions but it is all a bit confusing -
    Unfortunately (or very luckily) I got spoilt with my first birth in Aus and went to a birth centre where there was minimal interference from Staff, a big tub etc. I know I won't get any of those luxuries here from public but want to make sure the experience is good as the public system gets.

Breastfeeding help is also a big issue as I actually had to go back to hospital for 1 week when bubs was 6 weeks due to bfeeding issues. Not much fun with IV in my arms and possible surgery trying to look after your baby at the same time.

Thanks again for all your help any comments would be great.
    At the moment I am still thinking whether I should push for POW or QE but have to consider travelling distances as well.
    Bron

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Yes I wouldn't count on the hospital to be much help with breastfeeding personally. I'd get in with La Leche League (the breastfeeding advocacy organisation), start going to their tea break meetings, or at the very least get the hotline number to have on hand.

I don't remember getting much support at all at Queen Mary, which is one of the better ones, but then I didn't seek it out as I had a few good consultants to help me when things didn't go as planned. I have never heard many good reports about the breastfeeding help at any public hospital here, unless you are really proactive in seeking it.

With regards to the husband thing, once again I don't know any public hospital here that will allow the husband in the ward outside of visiting hours, but sometimes you do hear stories of bossy husbands managing to bend the rules. My husband was allowed to be with me at QMH from start to finish because I completely panicked and wouldn't let the nurses touch me until they went and got my husband to calm me down! So there's a strategy for you.

I feel for you having had such a great experience in Australia. It's hard coming to terms with how different things are here isn't it?

tet
    tet is offline Registered User
    Hi Bron13. At the PMH, sometimes they allow hubby inside the delivery ward. I did not give deliver my baby at the PMH but I had my antenal checkups there. They usually post in their bulletin board if they temporarilly suspend this practice so I am assuming they allow it. I think they sometimes suspend it if there's an epidemic. Goodluck!

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    I had my first son at QMH. My second son was born at home (unplanned). The ambulance took me to PMH, as it was the closest hospital. Once there the care was as good at QMH. The positive thing about public healthcare in Hong Kong is that it is very much standardised. You don't get the postcode lottery that you'd get in other developed countries.

The standard of spoken English was about the same in both QMH and PMH. Both are very strict about adhering to visiting hours. Babies are not allowed off the ward until they are discharged. I actually thought the food at PMH was better than QMH. Basic chinese food.

I took early discharge (on first day) as I felt that I was better at home rather than on a noisy ward with 5 other new mums and their babies.......